East Dulwich Deli - Harrods.

Louisa

Appologies if this is something that has previously been raised on here, but is anyone aware of the East Dulwich Deli (sandwich/snack/coffee type place) which is located inside Harrods department store in Knightsbridge. I was up there yesterday and I walked past and found it slightly odd, is it a franchise, does it have any connections with a local business?

Louisa.

Hi lousia,

i used to work for a company which ran a floor of Harrods, its all concessions of businesses in there so its likely its someone from an ED shop who pitched for a concession in there. - dont know who but if youre that interested i can mail my contacts and find out.

In my experience EDD staff are fine, helpful if you are looking for a specific ingredient or item, or want to order something for later (we had a great picnic supplied by them on 4th July and the weather was great too - tho' I don't think EDD can claim credit for that) - but given the usual queues and limited space the staff seldom have much time for friendly chit chat, so perhaps come over as professional rather than friendly.

The quality of everything there is high (I still find their sausage rolls the best) and while there's undoubtedly a premium pricing policy on balance the VFM equation works for me.

Last time I was in there was over 2 years ago and it was a quiet weekday afternoon. I was with friends who were visiting from South Africa. They wanted to know about a lot of the products they had because they were obviously foreign to them. When the asked questions the staff were just plain rude to them. I then tried to help out a bit and they were rude to me too.

I don?t have time for people like that.

True.

I find' it a pity because I often see things in the window I would like but I'm put off by my experience so I don't bother going in.

If someone had just been offish with me I probably wouldn't have let it bother me but I get irrationally defensive when friends and family are involved.