Beware when walking and texting on your mobile

missse22

Just a quick one to ask you all to be vigilant When walking down the road on your phone.

Tonight (Monday 29th Feb) at approximately 5.40pm I was walking along Spurling road (behind The EDT) on my phone checking facebook or something, oblivious to the fact that 2 men on a moped bike where riding along the pavement behind me and attempted to grab my phone from my hands. Thankfully the bastards dropped it. I was In total shock and ran towards the round about and as luck would have it as I went to cross at the zebra crossing the plonkers were there and had to stop!!! I ranted at them and got a look at them (both male , white and both had white helmets on one had a balaclava On under his helmet.) I also caught part of their number plate the bottom two letters were FY. They drove off towards goose green playground.

Thanks guys. Yes it was scary (even for me who has fought for 2 British titles in Muay Thai boxing) thankfully I'm sensible enough to not kick them off their bikes ... not worth getting stabbed or god knows what else the scumbags would have done.

Also glad you are ok - but just reminds us all to be aware of what goes on around you. It's always a good idea to be aware as you're out and about.

At least it was only your phone (annoying and not nice in itself) - they could have had other things in mind :-(

A good reminder to be aware. I go running a lot, and am amazed at how many people get a fright as I run past as they're so engrossed in their phones while walking along. It would be so easy for someone to grab their phones. Keep them out of sight!

Glad you're ok.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to hear that. Well done for standing up for

> yourself.

>

> Unfortunately it's best to be vigilant at all

> times, and keep valuables out of sight.

Are bus live timetables being removed on the premise

we all have mobiles now.

Wondered for a while.

Today at the Goose Green roundabout - a woman texting on her phone walked right out onto the crossing an 2 lanes of cars had to slam on their brakes, It was fortunate that we were all going slowly. Another reason for not using the phone in the street.

Sorry to hear about that horrible experience missse22.

Am always fascinated by people walking and hunched over their phones. Are they really that busy I wonder? I seem to be able to manage that stuff whilst stationery. Perhaps I'm just socially inadequate that I have no interactions with other folk that can't wait for a few moments!

Pickle Wrote:

> A good reminder to be aware. I go running a lot,

> and am amazed at how many people get a fright as I

> run past as they're so engrossed in their phones

> while walking along. It would be so easy for

> someone to grab their phones. Keep them out of

> sight!

>

Maybe you should stop running past people and scaring the bejesus out of them.

tomskip Wrote:

> Sorry to hear about that horrible experience

> missse22.

>

> Am always fascinated by people walking and hunched

> over their phones. Are they really that busy I

> wonder? I seem to be able to manage that stuff

> whilst stationery. Perhaps I'm just socially

> inadequate that I have no interactions with other

> folk that can't wait for a few moments!

To be fair I walk about 10 miles a day, and it's boring as hell, but to pass the time I will go on either Ebay, Amazon, Facebook, my fitness pal, East Dulwich forum, or just respond to prospective clients emails. Means that I walk longer rather than getting on a stinky bus lol

I was speaking to a policeman the other day who stated that they now have a policy in which they cannot chase mopeds due to 2 fatalities, apparently the 'criminals' know this so will use them more often so he said be vigilant

A similar thing happened to my wife a few months ago, she was visiting a friend & as she walked out of Bermondsey tube station got her phone out to call her friend & 2 guys on a moped tried to swipe it out of her hands. Luckily my wife had a tight grip on it so they failed but obviously she was very shaken & upset. She did call the police.

sfmrs Wrote:

> I was speaking to a policeman the other day who

> stated that they now have a policy in which they

> cannot chase mopeds due to 2 fatalities,

> apparently the 'criminals' know this so will use

> them more often so he said be vigilant

If they crash and burn what is the problem?

There would be no point in chasing mopeds because the scrotes would go through bollards into places where the cops can't drive anyway. There was a news story a couple of weeks ago where 2 of them on a moped actually mounted the pavement and took 2 phones from people within 50 yards of each other- I think it was in Kentish Town. The perps don't seem to care whether they kill pedestrians obviously....

I saw this whilst on a train at Sydenham Hill station when some lowlife scumbag grabbed a girl's phone and scarpered through the closing doors. All over in seconds . Lady seemed remarkably unperturbed and wasn't even going to report it to police although urged to do do so by other passengers.Courts far too soft even if they do catch them.

richard tudor Wrote:

> sfmrs Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I was speaking to a policeman the other day who

> > stated that they now have a policy in which

> they

> > cannot chase mopeds due to 2 fatalities,

> > apparently the 'criminals' know this so will

> use

> > them more often so he said be vigilant

>

>

> If they crash and burn what is the problem?

Depends what or who they "crash and burn" into?