Broadband Connection playing up

We live in the Trossachs/Tarbert/Glengarry area and out broadband connection has become erratic lately - losing and regaining connection without any discernible cause. We are wondering whether the difficulty may be unique to our situation or whether neighbours might also be experiencing problems accessing a sustained and reliable internet connection? Thanks in anticipation of your feedback.

The main cause of erratic broadband.. Losing connectivity occurs with Routers operating at 2.4Ghz.

The 2.4GHz frequency range is much more prone to interference, as it is commonly used by other wireless networks in the area, as well as cordless phones, garage door openers and other home appliances and consumer products.

Routers using 5.0GHz .. The 5GHz band is less likely to be congested.

Disadvantages of 5GHz:

In general, the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5GHz wireless networks.

In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz signals, limiting their reach inside buildings with solid walls and floors.

Article here:- http://www.speedguide.net/faq/is-5ghz-wireless-better-than-24ghz-340

DulwichFox

Or, to de-tech Foxy's reply, it's probably your wireless connection, not your actual broadband.

Your wireless only has a certain number of channels (1-13) and you are probably clashing with one of your neighbours. Try changing your wifi channel - 6 and 11 are usually the most popular and you need to be at least two channels from any clash (i.e. if you are clashing with someone on channel 6, then channel 5 and 7 won't be much better). I'd say try 1, 3 or 9.

Newer routers (like Virgin Superhub) work on two different frequencies - 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, but few people the second (5 Ghz) those so it's rather unlikely you'll get a channel clash on that. Likewise, you probably aren't using it either, you'll be on the usual one - 2.4 Ghz.

You could check the modem log. Does it show any losses of connection to the exchange or ISP? If you are using a wireless connection between router and computer, has your computer reported any changes in its connectivity or quality?

Please note that not all wireless peripherals (such as wireless printers) are configured to 'hear' 5Ghz. I think most modern hubs (certainly modern BT HomeHubs as well as the Virgin Hub), operate on two frequencies. And most computers, phones and tablets can 'hear' them.

One simple way of checking out the problem is to connect up via ethernet. If the problem persists it may well be a network issue, if it doesn't it's most likely a hub:router wireless problem. However also check on more than one peripheral, if you have more than one. One of my computers has drop-outs when my phone and tablets don't. I think it's either a hardware problem in the computer or more likely (since it cures easily using 'trouble-shoot problems') it's a software clash, which I can't actually be bothered to bottom out.

Like Penguine68 said.. One simple way of checking out the problem is to connect up via ethernet. If the problem persists it may well be a network issue, if it doesn't it's most likely a hub:router wireless problem.

Where practical to do so, Connecting via Ethernet cable will give you a faster internet speed..

DulwichFox

I think there might be a local problem. I'm on BT infinity but this weekend only getting 1.6mb download (3.6mb upload! for all the use that is).

[Edited to say that various reboots seemed to have fixed this, back up to 16mbs (though this itself isn't that impressive)]