Collision 23Mar Junction of Underhill and Barry Rd - sitelines?

I have just passed the aftermath of a collision between a P13 bus and a motorcyclist on Barry Rd - the bike and rider were on the ground with emergency services attending.

The bus was stationary advanced across Barry Rd heading in the direction of Lordship Lane. The bike and rider were just in front of where it had stopped.

I have no idea of the cause of the accident but it is on the very junction which I recently posted about ( see elsewhere on forum)

One possible scenario is that the bike rider was coming down Barry Rd towards Peckham Rye .. that the bus driver's view of the traffic to his left was obscured by white vans?

That said - when I passed the same junction an hour and half earlier the two white vans normally regularly parked in that vicinity were not near the junction?

Conclusion for increasing future level of safety: erase the white diagonal lines and paint some yellow lines in Barry Rd at that junction.

I too went by this accident last night about 9pm on my way home. It was a chilling scene. I could see a motor bike and a helmet under the front wheels of the P13 bus. I hope the motor cyclist is not too seriously injured.

This is a difficult junction to cross when using Underhill Road. It is not helped by the white vans parked close to the junction which impede the view along Barry Road. I have seen a few near misses in the past when vehicles edge out into Barry Road trying to cross this junction. It may well be a case for double yellow lines on all corners of the junction.

I was out with the police in November at this very spot in Barry Road on a speed gun exercise which showed there were a number of drivers ignoring the 20mph speed limit. Speeding may also be a contributory factor that makes this junction less safe. I will see if there is anything that can be done to make this particular junction a lot safer.

Councillor Charlie Smith

East Dulwich Ward Councillor

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Re yellow lines - I said that over two years ago,

> when the build-outs were installed.

>

> Apparently long sight lines make traffic speed,

> which is bollocks.

Absolutely, the proposed yellow lines are around two and a half car lengths, drivers are going to open up and then shut it down in that space? Longer sightlines give drivers more time to see the situation ahead and slow down for it, and for people, like presumably this poor motorcyclist (hope you enjoy a full recovery), coming towards a junction to see any dangerous drivers entering and react to them.

Barry Road is a long, long road with only three crossings, two of those close together (nearer the Rye end). I have seen motorists speed along there at more than 40mph, often not slowing down for the zebra at Goodrich Road. Take care!

Charlie Smith Wrote:

I will see if there is anything that can be

> done to make this particular junction a lot

> safer.

>

> Councillor Charlie Smith

> East Dulwich Ward Councillor

It doesn't take a genius to see this junction is dangerous. Why does it appear to be beyond the wit of whoever plans these to have a bit of foresight? Will someone have to die for something to be done?