Peckham Rye Fete - Feedback/Photos on FOPRP Yahoo Grp

boosboss

It's a great idea and there was a lovely community feel. Shame about the weather. Good Pimms. Great T-shirts. The kids' races were fun. It would be nice to have more variety in the stalls and types of food available - and more cake - it had all run out by the time we got there. What about some live music, coconut shy and better prizes on the tombola? You could get local businesses to sponsor/donate. I won a very nice bottle of Foxtons' champagne at the East Dulwich Forum party last autumn!

The Goose was there and had a good time watching the dogs and the Punch and Judy :))

We'd like to see some ferret racing like they have in Dorset :)

It would be great if it could be expanded to have more stalls, but I guess you are limited by people coming forward. Shame the weather was a bit rubbish, so we ended up in the Clock House having a delicious meal despite our hangovers.

We'd be happy to put on some live folkie music, DJing or maybe morris dancing if you like next year - get in touch!

Getting better ever year, really good layout this time and beginning to feel like a real cosy fete. Real shame about the weather, i think that it's 5 out of 6 times its been hit by bad weather Maybe the dates should be moved, that weekend seems to be a really bad one. There must be some weather data out there about this kind of thing ?

I loved it.

Me and friends arrived about 2pm to the beginning of the dog shows.

I made a carrot cake with added dates and walnuts and a rather a lot of lush topping.

To be frank I made two, but kept one for me.

What did anyone think of it? We went back to the stall about 30 mins later and it had all been sold!

Didn't see anyone clutching their stomachs and throwing up so should have been okay.

Anywayyyy I love the Fete. I don't care about the weather. It's just such a fun thing to do but looking at the entire crowd of people there I would not say it is representative of the good folk of Peckham Rye.

I am not a dog owner but I do love dogs and the dog show is always fun specially in these days when dogs and their owners are given bad press. I witnessed the deep joy of a mum and her two daughters when one of her labradors won a 4th prize waggiest tail prize. It just was a sunny moment. Let's be unPCly frank, the dog show did not include a representation of the dogs I see every day, either!

I spoke with a councillor about the police and the police did not come with their bus (though I was at the Police Ward Panel meet on Thursday when they said they would be) because apparently the police get a bit upset that no-one comes to their stall!

I think next year the local SaferNeighbourhoodTeams being the Council Wardens, the Park Wardens, the local SPCOs and police should have a stall. I will try to raise it when I see them and maybe the Friends could approach them too.

I did not see the Peckham Society stall. Did I miss it?

Who was the dog show judge? We wanted to appeal three decisions and ask for a doping test, the greyhound should have got the waggiest tail award but couldn't lift his tail once. Something Very Wrong!

A great afternoon.

Topped yesterday when I went to the Regent Street Festival. The entire street was closed to traffic and lined with stalls and a ferris wheel. It was fabulous fun. I took photos from the top of the wheel of the length of Regents Street full of people.

Can we have a ferris wheel next year or even better a tethered Hot Air Balloon? Ask the couple who are members of the Peckham Society who are members of balloon clubs in London and give talks on the history of ballooning, of which South London plays a big part!

A great day, Boosboss, really had fun. Thanks for all your hard work.

Edited to add: I took a lot of dog photos so happy to post some up maybe on my Flickr account and I am sure I got great ones of the Great Dane and his mates! I shall post here when they are on my Flickr account or may just post them here.

I went late on sat afternoon and sadly most of the cakes had gone! I went with a friend and her two young daughters - they had face paint which they loved (and it was free!), loved seeing the dogs, punch and judy, fishing for ducks for a prize. We did also get caught in the rain but we had shelter at the book stall, bought some books.

it was nice to see so many people out and even though it rained the kids really enjoyed it.

I would definately go again but its a shame about the weather!

Posted by: edanna Yesterday, 08:02PM

It's a great idea and there was a lovely community feel. Shame about the weather. Good Pimms. Great T-shirts. The kids' races were fun. It would be nice to have more variety in the stalls and types of food available - and more cake - it had all run out by the time we got there. What about some live music, coconut shy and better prizes on the tombola? You could get local businesses to sponsor/donate. I won a very nice bottle of Foxtons' champagne at the East Dulwich Forum party last autumn!

What would you like to see the stalls selling?

What other food sales would you like?

Definitely more cake next year. I'll start badgering all you cake-bakers earlier next time

Live Music - Have emailed Sue-Gooseisout and was impressed with the short acoustic treat we had with the accordian and fiddle on saturday, will try to extend that side.

We underestimated the skill of the local residents! We ran out of coconuts about 4pm, (3 large bags of them)

Taking note of the generous local businesses for the Tombola.

Posted by: kamila Today, 09:28AM

It was really great!Me,my dogs and friends had a lot of fun!I have been there last year but I was working at Green and Blue tent and promised myself I will be back next year with my dog.BTW,why G&B wasnt there this year?

We decided to provide the beer/pimms/wine ourselves this year as the profit generated is so great. Hopefully you weren't too dissappointed.

Posted by: Allfornun Today, 09:30AM

Getting better ever year, really good layout this time and beginning to feel like a real cosy fete. Real shame about the weather, i think that it's 5 out of 6 times its been hit by bad weather Maybe the dates should be moved, that weekend seems to be a really bad one. There must be some weather data out there about this kind of thing ?

We had originally planned it for the last weekend of Aug, which was beautiful. Will look at earlier dates next year.

PeckhamRose & Standswithfist , will respond later. Must do some work now :)

Thanks, keep the comments coming.

Yes weather can be fickle but historically that period don't look good. Anyway lots of people don't get the opportunity to holiday so it would be something else for them to look forward to as part of their school vacations. Sure it is just going to get bigger and bigger - well done.

What about, since there are at least two allotment groups in the area, some traditional 'biggest pumpkin', 'biggest vegetable marrow' 'best tomato crop' 'prize leek' 'knobliest potato' 'most obscene carrot' type contests?

Actually, could do the same with baking and jam making. And dahlias. Aren't dahlias actually compulsory at summer fetes? Isn't there a law about that?

Anyway, rain or not, I enjoyed myself. Joined the Friends of Peckham Rye Park. Had a fantastic sausage sandwich. But the greyhound should have won the prettiest dog class.

Yes He Should! So there's something dodgy going on and I think nothing less than a full investigation be held.

And I was saying to my mates how fabulously home counties the fete was, so for sure a vegetable competition should be held.

I would have won for my sunflower too, it's growing on my balcony and I live on the 3rd floor!

Posted by: PeckhamRose Today, 10:37AM

I made a carrot cake with added dates and walnuts and a rather a lot of lush topping.

Thankyou

To be frank I made two, but kept one for me.

Hence why we ran out

,but looking at the entire crowd of people there I would not say it is representative of the good folk of Peckham Rye.

Let's be unPCly frank, the dog show did not include a representation of the dogs I see every day, either!

I agree with both, but we advertised and invited many groups. Re the dogs, the bad press may give some owners the false idea that their dog wouldn't win anyway

I did not see the Peckham Society stall. Did I miss it?

The Peckham Society did a tour of the park at 3.30

Who was the dog show judge? We wanted to appeal three decisions and ask for a doping test, the greyhound should have got the waggiest tail award but couldn't lift his tail once. Something Very Wrong!

Typically Pointydogs(Greyhounds) and rain don't mix well, soft things really

Can we have a ferris wheel next year or even better a tethered Hot Air Balloon? Ask the couple who are members of the Peckham Society who are members of balloon clubs in London and give talks on the history of ballooning, of which South London plays a big part!

Cost to attendees is something we consider. If sponsorship to provide one or the other was available so that the rides were free, we'd welcome them

I took a lot of dog photos so happy to post some up maybe on my Flickr account and I am sure I got great ones of the Great Dane and his mates! I shall post here when they are on my Flickr account or may just post them here.

Would you be able to post them on the FOPRP Yahoo group site?

Posted by: standswithfist Today, 10:54AM

I went late on sat afternoon and sadly most of the cakes had gone! I went with a friend and her two young daughters - they had face paint which they loved (and it was free!), loved seeing the dogs, punch and judy, fishing for ducks for a prize. We did also get caught in the rain but we had shelter at the book stall, bought some books.

it was nice to see so many people out and even though it rained the kids really enjoyed it.

More cakes next year! Face painting, sports day races, punch and judy and one o'clock club all free!
Posted by: kamila Today, 11:19AM

Boosboss-the beer was good but I just love G&B wines

I think that last year there was also a pet store tent,nothing like that this year...

Kamila, I think the beer may have been better than you thought! The same pet stalls as last year were there. FOAL FArm and Greyhounds In Need.

Posted by: WickedStepmother Today, 03:51PM

What about, since there are at least two allotment groups in the area, some traditional 'biggest pumpkin', 'biggest vegetable marrow' 'best tomato crop' 'prize leek' 'knobliest potato' 'most obscene carrot' type contests?

Actually, could do the same with baking and jam making. And dahlias. Aren't dahlias actually compulsory at summer fetes? Isn't there a law about that?

Will look into it for next year
Posted by: PeckhamRose Today, 04:26PM Yes He Should! So there's something dodgy going on and I think nothing less than a full investigation be held.
Full investigation held and no foul play was identified. Beauty being in the eye of etc....

Bless boosboss for being so thorough in responding to feedback. Was sad to miss it but had to be elsewhere in London on Saturday - but next year will be there with a vengeance and a small child large enough to have its face painted and be very excited about it.

Boosboss, in answer to your question about what stalls and what food, here are a few ideas:

homemade lemonade

hot chocolate

crepes

Thai curry and rice

fancy tarts (the edible type, sweet and savoury, no jokes please!)

posh salads

hot fresh doughnuts

cheeses (to eat there with some little bread rolls or biscuits, mmm, or to take home)

olives

country cider

pottery (e.g. North Street Potters)

kids' art area: easels, paints and a display board for the masterpieces

hoopla

pony rides

Hope that's useful.

Boosboss what about the bit about the SNT stall? I shall also ask them when they're walking around the site. FYI when I went on the fab ferris wheel in the middle of Regents Street the next day, it cost a mere ?2.50 which I thought was mighty fayre, I mean fair, no "fear", no, now I've got up too early...

How about asking Metropolis - motorcycle and scooter company in Vauxhall - to attend and offer accompanied rides around a very small sectioned off area on the park to teach kids who are going to ride anyway but currently ride mini motos unsafely? Also will appeal to potential scooter-commuters and others? Now THAT's a good idea!

I shall look up the names of the balloon folk and send you their details.

Oh - and my photos are on FILM so shall upload scanned copies when they return. I know, I know, but I love film.

Thanks Edanna, all suggestions noted :)

Boosboss what about the bit about the SNT stall?

We have a member on the ward panel, so will suggest that

FYI when I went on the fab ferris wheel in the middle of Regents Street the next day, it cost a mere ?2.50 which I thought was mighty fayre, I mean fair, no "fear", no, now I've got up too early...

Very fair! However, multiplied by 4 (family) that's ?10. assuming that the level of customers at our fete would be great enough to maintain that low price. Worth looking into though

How about asking Metropolis - motorcycle and scooter company in Vauxhall - to attend and offer accompanied rides around a very small sectioned off area on the park to teach kids who are going to ride anyway but currently ride mini motos unsafely? Also will appeal to potential scooter-commuters and others? Now THAT's a good idea!

Very good idea! Noted :)

I shall look up the names of the balloon folk and send you their details.

Thankyou

Oh - and my photos are on FILM so shall upload scanned copies when they return. I know, I know, but I love film.

Again thanks, look forward to seeing them