Parking near East Dulwich Station

JJ2510

Yep, all roads round there are free to park (no metres or controlled parking). But I would suggest Quorn Road (or somewhere on that side of the main road). Parking along St Francis Road, Melbourne Grove, etc is very tight, and even the residents sometimes have a hard time finding a space.

Chief Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Park somewhere else and catch a bus or cab to the

> station please. We don't want you, and other

> non-residents, clogging up our roads!

That shows a lovely spirit - my family are coming for lunch on Saturday, should I tell them they mustn't come by car as they're non-residents? As the OP is on this forum they're probably an ED/Southwark resident and so have paid council tax for the upkeep of the roads like everyone else! I mean really.

If it's any use to you, JJ2510, at the top of Soames Street by our place there's always a stretch which is empty - five minutes walk from ED. I won't say feel free to park there as I don't own the roads and neither does anyone else!

Chief Wrote:

So park somewhere else and clog up a road elsewhere?

FFS.

I assume you leave your car permanently in your road, so that you are not clogging up some other residents' road when you drive to another area?

Chief Wrote:

They're not 'your' roads though. They're public roads. There is more than enough parking space around Quorn Road, just across from the station.

minder Wrote:

> Surely the OP would have done some homework on

> where's best to park? Seems a strange question as

> they probably know parking is a problem anyway.

Parking's not a problem on Quorn Road (or the surrounding roads).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a massive difference between parking somewhere else for a time and dumping your car somewhere for the entire working day. A street that might seem empty when you get there at 9am (when most of the residents have left) is quite different when it has filled up with commuters and then legitimate day-time traffic (tradespeople, residents returning etc) are quite unable to find spaces.

Had this happen to me this morning in fact. Am ill, so did the school run in the car instead of walking as we usually do. Returned home and not a space to be found, while cars circled like vultures looking for a gap. I asked a couple if they were residents and both said "no" before heading off to the station.

Ah well, standard tragedy of the commons. If it continues like this the street will soon be resident permits only, and we'll all have lost out.

This confused the hell out of me, as I thought half the thread had been deleted. Then I realised that there are two separate threads on this. Anyway, as per many of the observations made on the other thread, I'm not convinced there is much of a problem.

It takes a while (probably around 18 months - 2 years) but by then ED will have a lot of parking problems and will be crying out for a CPZ.

Lambeth imposed a CPZ nearby Ruskin Park, near to King's College Hospital years ago and it's had a knock on effect into other streets.

It's so lovely that I'm able to park my car after the North Dulwich CPZ came into effect.

The road is more or less empty for most of the day as railway station parkers and King's College hospital workers, school workers, have had to go elsewhere!

They came from everywhere though, not just local.

One bloke used to park up everyday outside, change into his lycra stuff and cycle off to wherever! He had a permit badge for somewhere miles outside of London.

It's ok to park before 12 or after 2pm so it's not restricting everyone like school users, but train station users etc. now have to find other ways.

I agree Minder. We're also in the new CPZ and it's wonderful to actually be able to park in our street during working hours. In addition to the neighbouring Lambeth CPZ, we also noticed a big influx of cars when the Judith Kerr primary school opened. They advertise on their website that plenty of free parking is available in neighbouring streets!

minder Wrote:

> It's so lovely that I'm able to park my car after

> the North Dulwich CPZ came into effect.

>

> The road is more or less empty for most of the day

> as railway station parkers and King's College

> hospital workers, school workers, have had to go

> elsewhere!

Railway station parkers, fair enough, they can go elsewhere I agree. Not sure how driving away health workers and school teachers and assistants is a real big plus for your local community though?

I'm afraid it's a big plus in terms of parking for people who live in the local community.

Hospitals and schools in the local community need to find space for their workers to park cars if they want to.

Schools and hospitals in the area have expanded but don't seem to have this in their scenario!

Who can't park in 'their' street. It's nonsense. Who'd want to stop people (like healthcare workers and teachers) travelling to the area they work in? In the majority of cases I think it's just people wanting to be right outside their house (like directly in front of it) every single time they park, because they're territorial about it. I'm sure there are a few exceptions to this, but mainly that's what it's about.

Not sure what you find 'Hilarious' about it ratty and rahrah quoting 'their'? As long as 'their' workplaces provided car parking spaces it would have been ok but unfortunately it's had a knock on effect for people living in the area and I'm not a person who wants to drive healthcare/teachers away.

The OP has posted about parking near ED train station and then disappeared.

Minder May 9th:

"It's so lovely that I'm able to park my car after the North Dulwich CPZ came into effect. The road is more or less empty for most of the day as railway station parkers and King's College hospital workers, school workers, have had to go elsewhere!"

Minder May 12th:

"I'm not a person who wants to drive healthcare/teachers away."

Are you aware of the concept of cognitive dissonance?