Shocking car crash on Overhill Road

Saw this crashed at the junction of overhill road and lordship lane this evening at about 6pm. Anyone else see this? Two other vehicles involved (out of shot). I see idiot drivers all the time using the bus lane in this area of the south circular, usually driving at breakneck speeds. Any know if this is anything to do with that?

Potentially, although there was debris some 20-30 metres behind it on the bus lane. This indicates to me that there was a collision with another car previous to this incident, which then caused the white car in the picture to lose control and crash. Only a car travelling at speed could crash some 20-30 metres down the road from an initial collision.

Miss Marple signing off.

I too hope that nobody was seriously hurt. That white car was pretty shocking to see yesterday as I cycled past. Lordship Lane is 20 MPH from Goose Green to Belvoir Road where it suddenly becomes 30 MPH. Not that 20 MPH seems to mean much to most drivers. Yesterday I was tootling along at 20 and had a black cab behind me flashing his lights and hooting at me all the way from the Library to Mrs. Robinson. Yes, coming the other way towards Belvoir you get lunatics using the bus lane at high speed (not even 30) to undercut drivers actually obeying the speed limit. If one of those drivers is turning left into Belvoir... well...

There was a similar collision involving two cars on Melbourne Grove ( north side ) around 7am on a Sunday two weeks ago. Both cars sustained major damages but all occupants appeared ok. Was surprised given this incident did not take place at the bend of the road and is usually quite at this time with full view of oncoming traffic.

Modern cars are designed to 'crumple' apparently catastrophically, but this protects the area where people sit - the force of the impact being taken and absorbed by the outer shell. So nowadays crashes often look very bad, but people are more likely to walk away from them relatively unhurt. From the photograph you can see that the front windscreen appears undamaged - which suggests that the impact force was mainly taken by the front box before it reached the driver/ any passengers.

Maybe if you lived 20 metres from the accident, cycled on this part of the south circular every day and had to deal with moronic speeding drivers using the bus lane every day illegally, recklessly and incredible dangerously knowing that it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Then no. It is not strange. Thanks though Growlybear.

Growlybear Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why would anyone who wasn't involved personally

> take a photograph of a car accident? It seems

> very strange.

As a damned good warning to others that this is what could happen to them if they carry on treating the South Circular as a racetrack?

I passed this yesterday. In all the commotion I couldn't believe what I was seeing..... a group of school kids at the pedestrian crossing were filming and taking pictures with their phones whilst the ambulance crew were trying to pull one of the casualties out of the car on to a stretcher! I felt so angry I wanted to shout at them but thought i should concentrate on my driving. Unbelievable!

Thanks anywhere else is there a map

icker Basher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> alice Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I thoughts all southwark was 20mph

>

> Except where TfL are in charge of the road, which

> in Lordship Lane is between Melford Road and Wood

> Vale.

Not sure where there's a map, but I'm sure road signs do the trick if you need to know.

As a motorcyclist who is allowed in this bus lane (not all, but this one) who lives off Overhill I'm interested in this. There may well have been a driver going too fast up the bus lane, but if someone turned left across them and hit them that sounds all too familiar. I've had people cur across me who clearly haven't checked on a number of occasions.

I live on Belvoir road and many times a day drive this junction . Every day I'm cut up by someone who thinks its ok to use the bus lane early to turn into overhill road which then turns into belvoir . It's such a road rage junction ! I've been fighting the council who wanted to add a two way cycle lane down to this junction . This in my opinion will just add to more accidents and sooner than later a death .

I am grateful for this picture as I can add it to my other crash witnessed by me to add to my arguement as to why this is a very dangerous corner !