East Dulwich Hotel - any info on what's happening?

Jo31

Some Local authorities were looking at it for homeless accommodation. The price was too high for the one I work for, but the idea was to buy the footprint and build a bigger hostel on it for homeless families. However, I have no idea if this is what went through.

The ED hotel will be coverted to private houses then sold for a few hundred grand profit for the developer.

Ratty - you're right about this. My missus bought her old ex council flat in Wapping in 2005 from a council tenant who had bought it under Thatchers right to buy. Last month she received a letter from Tower Hamlets Council about their "Buy back' scheme for ex-council properties. At tippy market rates and with a quick sale. There are so many absurdities to this....

Councils are offering to buy, not compulsory purchases. Thousands of families are homeless thanks to govt policy. It's a crisis of terrifying proportions. Some inner London schools are full of kids in temporary accommodation. It's all very messy and sad.

Shame Jeremy does not believe it innit?

Southwark seem very busy selling land they own to private developers (including some locally). So yes, I do not believe that they would buy a property on the open market, only to pull it down and build something there!

Nice to hear that some councils are attempting to claw back some of their housing stock.

Not thought because these properties are being used for non permanent housing. Therefore no right to buy.

Jeremy, I am not sure if Southwark are doing it. Not heard that they are. Other boroughs and some charities most definitely are. Pal of mine is on commission for Westminster persuading leaseholders to do it.

The rooms in the ED Hotel are said to be very small. A builder friend was asked many years ago to do some work in this place ( prior to it opening as a hotel)by the now deceased owner. He refused to do work as he felt that the property was not suitable - ie owner wanted to put a couple of bunks in the equivalent of a single room.

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The rooms in the ED Hotel are said to be very small.

Wouldn't be surprised if the current/previous owner partitioned it up. It is just a converted Victorian terrace, right? Rooms were probably a pretty normal size originally.

uncleglen Wrote:

> It just so happens that the Right To Buy was first

> in the 1959 General Election Manifesto of the

> LABOUR Party (Labour lost though)- which only goes

> to prove that the fascist left LIE and LIE...

Jeez Unclglen, your constant fury and obsession with 'the left' is almost pathological. Have a cup of tea and a nice sit down.

• 3 months later...

uncleglen Wrote:

> It just so happens that the Right To Buy was first

> in the 1959 General Election Manifesto of the

> LABOUR Party (Labour lost though)- which only goes

> to prove that the fascist left LIE and LIE...

uncleglen, you're entitled to your opinions, but describing any mainstream political party in Britain as fascist is a shameful thing to do. You're showing utter disrespect to the millions who died from real fascism. Stop it.