Flats being demolished in Solomons Passage SE15

joymar

I hadn't heard that, is it the block right on the passage built by Wandle Housing? They had major repairs last year to do with the gas supplies, haven't heard anything else. I live next door in Aura Court. Find it hard to believe they will have to demolish.

These are new built flats. What happened to building control, quantity surveyors, architects?

Southwark are all over you like rash when you try to do anything what happened here?

Who will pick up the bill for all these families and will heads roll?

I very much doubt anyone will take the blame but people's lives will be destroyed.

How many other properties are the same but no one is saying anything.

This does not benefit social housing residents they are pawns in the system.

Lives thrown into the melting pot.

The point is why were these flats not monitoried during the building. Where was Southwark Building Control.

Housing shortage just got larger. Construction company used by the Housing Association will probably or maybe has gone into liquidation.

Blame apportionment and settlement will take years.

sadly not terribly surprised I watched the development being built and saw the shoddy workmanship. Nothing the developer promised was reliable - landmark building ( now only a landmark because of the flapping blue plastic and bright yellow gas pipes trying to rectify design problems ). The rebuild of the paddling pool on peckham rye that was promised by the developer as a sweetener never happened.

I hope the council will have their eyes wide open in regards the developer now especially as he had been involved in the plans for the garden centre site

martin.g.taylor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All the residences had a big meeting where they

> where told that the two end blocks needs extensive

> repaired, but the two centre block had to be

> demolished and rebuilt entirely. I know that 44 is

> going.

Yep - 76 flats affected in total blocks 40-46 if I understand correctly.

It would appear if you throw up sub built housing to tick official target boxes all is ok.

Speed not quality is the requirement.

With all the houses that have come down at the Elephant and Aylesbury Estates where will these people go?

Not all these places are social housing but also included shared ownership. People have worked hard to get these places and build a future for them and their families at prices they can afford. Where will they be able to get other places the same with prices rocketing upwards?

Not doubt other places will be built on the site at a price only the wheel heeled will be able to afford. i.e. The Elephant.

As someone mentioned earlier will heads roll at Southwark and the Housing Association. It used to be the bigger the cockup the greater the promotion.

Were these buildings monitored during construction? Perhaps the Housing Association might like to list and explain exactly what is wrong with all these buildings and the full extent of the cockup will become apparent.

I did hear that that one of last blocks built the original developers went into administration halfway through construction and the final phase was completed to a different design. Why were faults original and new not seen then? I would have thought extra care would have been shown. Speed not quality?

I do feel very sorry for all these people who felt secure in new properties and now this.

No doubt that old phrase. "Lessons will be learnt and acted on in the future" will appear at some point

I believe that these properties are owned by Wandle Housing Association.

Do they have 85 homes of the same standard and size anywhere in the borough? Do Southwark have a duty to these people or do their displaced residents come first?

The local MP should be on the case immediately.

There was marching in the street when a toy shop had to close but this is not attracting any interest.

Strange

Rupert James, I suspect there are lots of people who are completely unaware of the situation. despite living near the affected flats it was only because of this thread that I became aware of the issue. I did contact Renata Hamvas councillor last night to check if this is true and expressed my concern about it. she did confirm some of the info.

How many flats are affected and is it just the middle blocks due to be demolished ? Are there any details re timescales and what is planned for those unfortunate enough to have their homes demolished

I'm so shocked by this that I don't know what say .

Presumably the buildings were poorly constructed and didn't conform to building regs .How did that come about ? Aren't buildings checked as they are constructed ?

What will happen to the tenants who have to move .What will happen to children who attend local primary schools and their parents who will have new journey's to work and visit relatives ?

malleymoo Wrote:

> Rupert James, I suspect there are lots of people

> who are completely unaware of the situation.

> despite living near the affected flats it was only

> because of this thread that I became aware of the

> issue. I did contact Renata Hamvas councillor last

> night to check if this is true and expressed my

> concern about it. she did confirm some of the

> info.

> How many flats are affected and is it just the

> middle blocks due to be demolished ? Are there any

> details re timescales and what is planned for

> those unfortunate enough to have their homes

> demolished

Malkeymoo. Numbers and blocks posted further up. Thanks for contacting Renata. Do you live

local too then?

hpsaucey Wrote:

> malleymoo Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Rupert James, I suspect there are lots of

> people

> > who are completely unaware of the situation.

> > despite living near the affected flats it was

> only

> > because of this thread that I became aware of

> the

> > issue. I did contact Renata Hamvas councillor

> last

> > night to check if this is true and expressed my

> > concern about it. she did confirm some of the

> > info.

> > How many flats are affected and is it just the

> > middle blocks due to be demolished ? Are there

> any

> > details re timescales and what is planned for

> > those unfortunate enough to have their homes

> > demolished

>

> Malkeymoo. Numbers and blocks posted further up.

> Thanks for contacting Renata. Do you live here/

> local too then?

Hi yes I live near enough to the flats to have observed them being built and saw some of the shoddy practices as I passed by. I also remember the promises that were made by the developer regarding landmark buildings!

i feel so desperately sorry for those people who are having to leave their homes. I think I had misread the earlier post saying about number 44 and thinking it related to a specific flat number but on rereading it HPsaucy am I right in assuming 44 flats to be demolished? if this is correct I hope WandLe the builders and the developer are liable to some form of legal process whereby their individual roles in this fiasco are examined and they are held to account for their mistakes.

Sadly Southwark council ignored local concern that the developer had proposed poor( lower) quality social housing just as a way of meeting the legal requirement to provide a certain percentage social housing in such a large development. The planning department was asked to consider whether if it was poorer quality than the rest of the development it was really therefore ethically and morally right- this was ignored.

I might be wrong but I think there was also concern about the timber frame construction that was proposed especially as in 2010 this method of building flats was being questioned by the fire brigade following a massive fire on a site in peckham . Can't remember if they stuck with the timber frame construction in the middle blocks as the plans kept changing.

I sincerely hope that all those people who are displaced are given appropriate accommodation nearby . Has WandLe / council offered any suggestions re the way forward ?

In response to malleymoo and generally:

Don't know about the number 44 as a total of flats - but blocks 42 and 44- the middle two - being demolished. 40 and 46 being refurbished. I find it hard to see how 76 families could all be rehoused locally enough to schools etc. I would have thought that the follow-on impact on the local housing waiting lists is also going to be pretty horrendous.

H

Rupert james wrote.

"There was marching in the street when a toy shop had to close but this is not attracting any interest.

Strange"

It does seem that this situation is of no interest to anyone even those posters who would normally post a comment when a gnat has farted in the left spiral arm of the galaxy. The only postings are from a resident and a few locals over the past days.

No doubt the powers that be will hope it will die a natural death and pass out of sight and things will carry on as if nothing has happened.

Very sorry for all concerned. Should not have happened.

Will be interesting to hear from the local Cllrs on this thread why it has happened.

I suspect that the lack of comment reflects the facts that if the buildings are dangerous then they must be either torn down or, where that is possible, repaired - albeit that this may mean vacating them for up to 18 months. Nobody would argue that the work should't be done, or that it should be skimped.

When it is clearer who (if anyone) is to blame - whether it be the developer (very likely) and/ or the council planners and councilors who agreed this scheme - and what the actual remedies and impacts will be on those now living in condemned and (presumably) unsafe buildings - then comments and suggestions (and accusations and attacks) can ensue.

This is a very different kettle of fish than protesting against a business closing possibly caused by greedy rent demands (and that's a moot point).

Other than posting (as I am happy to do) that this is both shocking and very worrying, and that someone (but who?) should be called to account for it there is little practical or of use available to ED posters at this stage.

And again - hearing a view from relevant elected councilors about what has happened, and what remedies are being propose would be helpful - but I suspect that they may be as in the dark and confused about this as we are.

Hi all - I live in Solomon's Passage. The rumours are true. Last week we were called to a meeting where we were shocked to hear that our homes were not fit for purpose and were to be destroyed.

All residents of the 85 1/2/3-bed units are being asked to move out this year, while Wandle Housing Association demolish and rebuild 2 buildings, and gut and reconstruct 2 other buildings (there are 4 buildings in the development). The project is expected to last at least 5 years though we expect it to take longer.

The problems are many and we have been told it includes problems with the roof, timber frame, walls, gas system, fire safety system, and lots more.

In my building we're all devastated. We've built up friendships, raised children, started companies, got married and chopped with breakups, looked after pets for each other - all the things that make up life and community over years.

I think everyone in the development would appreciate support. We are interested to hear from Southwark Council who signed off the building - they have said nothing to us so far. We are also concerned about the lack of regulation of Wandle Housing Association, a public body. And we have written to Harriet Harman for support.

We are so sad about the destruction of the community we have built up here.

Hi all

Another resident here to reiterate all that has been said above by my neighbour - to our absolute disbelief, the rumours are true.

Cannot get into details at this point but everything mentioned in this post, we as residents are also asking through various channels.

How did this happen.

It is devastating, from a personal perspective and from a social one. How has this happened. How has this been allowed to happen.

Hi Aine and AnaCarmen, How devestating, I'm so sorry for you and everyone involved in your community.

I cannot understand how this could happen, everyone

responsible must be held to account. Have they given any dates when they will be rehousing or how

this will be managed. I'm sure local people will offer help and support. I am away for a week so may

not be able to add to this but just wanted to say how sorry I am and offer support.