Proposed gym behind houses of Talbot Road and Abbotswood Road

Weegee

Is there going to be a health and fitness club built behind Talbot Road

and Abbotswood Road?

Today, we received a printed email from a resident about the proposed

development.

Im trying to picture where the developers plan it.

Does anyonne know any more info on this gym?

the out lined application has been rejected...

It was rejected by Southwark, but then approved on appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. We are hoping Southwark will now take this to the High Court.

The most ridiculous thing about the plan (and ignored by the appeal tribunal) is that the gym proposes to have access via the St Francis Estate residential area. That means people coming in via the road to Sainburys, past the already dangerous curve next to the football club, up Abbotswood Road, into Talbot Road and then taking a small driveway between two houses on Talbot Road to get to the gym. They have an option to use the driveway next to Dominos, but the don't want to do that for reasons best known to themselves.

The local residents association - led by a very formidable lady called Jean - haven't given up on stopping this, or at least stopping it diverting dozens of cars at peak times through a quiet residential area.

There is a small laneway between two houses that they want to use, and that the developers would need to purchase. Hopefully the current owner of the laneway - whoever that be - won't sell to the b&ss*%ds. AFAIK their plans don't (currently) include knocking down a house for access.

• 2 weeks later...

My neighbours are over the moon with this - it's funny how opinions differ.

I am worried about increased traffic and parking etc, it's daft but my cats are used to the road being a cul de sac. Now they will have to get used to it being a busy thoroughfare! :(

there's so little land between Abbotswood/Talbot road and the train line that it's hard to see how this gym could be big enough to generate any noticeable increase in traffic. What could be more of a problem is parking, as parking spaces are in short supply on these streets and fiercely guarded by residents! I think the gym's customers will probably have to walk, so maybe the plan for a footpath up past dominos pizza place is a good idea.

I think it's probably good news for home-owners in the area as they will now have sainsburys, the station and a brand new gym all on their doorstep, which can't hurt house prices and will make it very easy to find tenants if they want to let their property.

Ladygooner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So now we have the traffic for Sainsburys, the car

> wash, Sainsburys staff parking and the gym? Should

> be fun!

And what's with those new wooden bollards that have appeared next to the Dulwich Hamlet's car park? I guess it's to prevent people parking there and getting in the way of the football coaches? Or maybe to stop the fly tipping?

As for the gym, it will doubtless increase traffic and clutter the streets with more cars. The number of cars on the road has increased in the four years I've lived on the estate which is a bit annoying considering most houses have 1 space for off-street parking.

benmorg suggests it should be good news for homeonwers - but the point is there's already a gym on the doorstep at Dulwich Hamlets as well as the one on Lordship Lane. So it's all about the flats really - and I wouldn't be too chuffed at being overlooked by them or being right next to them. Assuming the Garden Centre also gets replaced by flats the urban density of this little bit of ED is going to get even thicker, which is galling as just over the road on the DKH estate there still appear to be numerous boarded up flats which really should be made available.

Rant over!

local estate agent Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The land the gym will sit on is 230sq.metres. it

> will be arranged over 2/3 floors.

>

> Theres is going to be 32 parking spaces next to it

> also....

>

> road access through abbotswood and talbot road

where exactly is it located? I can't see any space on google maps, unless the owners of the long gardens at end of Talbot road have sold off the bottom halves. Or is it in one of the patches of woodland by the train line?

so they must be planning to cut down the trees in the thin strip of land along the railway line. Any flats there are going to uncomforably close to passing trains, which won't help with selling. And presumably not outdoor space besides balconies overlooking either the train line or people's back gardens. Not a great plan as residents will be able to object to intrusion of privacy, and the street will lose the screen of trees blocking train noise. If the developers are using the gym as a stepping stone to building flats, I think they could come badly unstuck.