Melbourne Grove - safe area?

Hi all,

My partner and myself are looking to move to East Dulwich for the first time and have been looking at a place on Melbourne Grove (at the end quite near the station). Could anyone advise on whether that area is safe and nice to live in?

Thanks!

If you have a fondness for right angles, as in new-build rather than hundred-plus-year-old approximative construction, you might consider heading a few steps further away, into the 1990s St Francis estate -- centred on Abbotswood Road, accessible through Edgar Kail Way (think Sainsbo SuperStore).

Whichever way you jump, welcome to the 'hood!

The only thing I'd say against that end of Melbourne Grove is that as it's made very narrow with parking on both sides so it's frequently crammed with stationary traffic, so if noise and pollution bother you that could be a problem. Otherwise, great area and safer than most, in my experience.

I don't live on MG or any of the adjacent streets, but do walk through it to the station (and back) every day.

The stretch between EDG and the station appears to be nice, quite typical of the sort of street of terraced houses that is common to East Dulwich. The primary differences that make MG stand out, in my view would be:

1) traffic - it's definitely a ratrun at times and can be a pain navigating through. I don't own a car, but if I did would consider this a pain.

2) parking - as per the above, there is a severe lack of it. that said, there's a lot more parking in front yards that have been converted than most streets, perhaps a reaction to the lack of parking itself. That the yards have enough space to park is a plus in my view. Most streets don't.

3) environs - the pavements feel wider than many of the other streets, and the trees (particularly the ones with blossom at the station end) are generally nice

4) safety - I've never felt unsafe walking through there, in the four years that I have

5) businesses - the part of the street beyond the kink definitely invites a different type of visitor to the street (compared with, say, Derwent Grove). More vans etc.

6) public transport - the proximity to the station and also both the 40/185/176 and 37 routes is a major, major plus

I actually think that MG is quite different to most of the residential streets in ED, but still as nice.

It's safe. I walked that way to work for ten years, sometimes after a few post- work drinks, so late at night in the dark and I never felt at threat from muggers or traffic. The Sardinian restaurant would be an excellent local place to eat and the 'pre-loved' clothes shop is great to browse in.