More motorbike crime

Ok, so a previous thread about my motorbike being stolen was moved to the lost, found and stolen section, but it was actually meant as a warning to other motorcycle users as much as anything. Nothing has been stolen this time so hopefully it is fine here.

A month after my motorbike being stolen in broad daylight from outside a busy pub, and four days after getting a replacement bike, my topbox was broken into, removed and smashed to pieces last night. I was woken up by a loud crash at 2am, and the sound of a moped tearing off down the road. When I looked out of the window, I saw the damage...

If anyone has a bike of scooter in the area (I'm by The Castle on Crystal Palace Rd), I urge you to make sure it is well chained up, covered and any luggage is removed whenever you aren't using it. This time it was in the middle of the night, and secure, but as I said, my old bike was stolen in the middle of the day on a weekend.

Also, keep a lookout for anyone (or more likely two) people on a scooter looking suspicious, and please report anything to the police so they can build a picture. Clearly this kind of crime is on the rise, as until the last couple of months I've had no trouble at all.

So far these people have cost me over ?2000, even with insurance, and I am but a poorly paid teacher!

That's dreadful, sorry to hear it.

Incredible that they raid top boxes. Anyone breaking into mine at night will win one pair of waterproof overtrousers, a small locked chain with no key, and if it's been raining then they might get lucky and find half a pint of water in there too. I can't imagine it's generally a high reward crime. Was there much in yours?

Must admit I've never bothered reporting kids on illegal bikes to the cops. I could be on the phone every day. Riding through Crystal Palace at dusk, there are kids in tracksuits on peds, no number plate, pillion riders without helmets. Looking like they are up to no good. Every single night I've ridden through it's the same.

Yeah, sorry I know what you mean about seeing the idiots on mopeds. I really just meant if you have anything damaged/stolen. Easy to just think it's not even worth reporting given the fact the police won't do anything. They did nothing when my bike was stolen, but told me I should have reported this straight away so they could have sent a squad car! Good to have it record though, just so they can see the impact of closing down local police stations.

Very sorry to hear about the theft and then the damage. To re-iterate what you've written above, NEVER leave a top box on a bike overnight. Thieves assume there is a helmet/other goodies inside and will smash it open, ruining locks etc. Take the top box inside and put a cover over the bike. I take my top-box off everytime I park at home, day or night.

Rosetta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The police can't chase them when they take their

> helmets off, or don't have any to begin with.

The police could have easily blocked them off whilst they were busy using an angle grinder to cut a lock, but came in with sirens blaring (thereby giving them plenty of time to hop on their bikes and drive off).

Yeah, it really is ridiculous. I'm being interviewed by the police tonight. For the top box! They didn't do anything when a ?4000 bike was stolen in broad daylight with witnesses, but for ?100 worth of damage in the middle of the night they want to come and pay me a visit. Can't wait to hear them explain that one.

The police were there in five minutes both times I called them when my bike was nearly stolen. They raced around the nearby streets looking for leads, but their hands are tied by H&S. If the rider or pillion removes their helmet, they have to give up the chase. Likewise, they can't pursue over parkland or down alleys. This is what the officer said.

Yeah, I was told the same thing. The policewoman said they need to change the legislation as they are using the battle. She admitted there is a really problem at the moment in the area. Not just scooters though, some of them are going in the back of vans so make sure you are chaining to a fixed object!

We had a scooter heavily vandalised last week at 8.30pm under a street lamp. They removed the top box and took the front panel off with the ignition - they are so brazen. Insurance has gone though the roof on claims over the last couple of years.

Again police said the same thing - they can't chase them. She did say get descriptions of helmets and number plates so that they can see what they have on file.

Not sure what else to do on the security front as scooter has everything - ideas welcome!!

Caesi01 and Singalto - Our moped was stolen from Landcroft last night so I am guessing that was our top box which was smashed open not far down the road.

Our bike was twice locked to the front fence and they used bolt cutters to cut the chain.

This is the second time we have had our bike stolen and its tragic and costs a fortune.

We don't know how to get around it other then locks and disk locks and a cover.

mrsilencio Wrote:

> Yeah, I was told the same thing. The policewoman

> said they need to change the legislation as they

> are using the battle. She admitted there is a

> really problem at the moment in the area. Not just

> scooters though, some of them are going in the

> back of vans so make sure you are chaining to a

> fixed object!

Oh great, so all the crims have to do is take off their helmets or go down an alley and they get away with their crimes.

KatieHolland85 Wrote:

> Caesi01 and Singalto - Our moped was stolen from

> Landcroft last night so I am guessing that was our

> top box which was smashed open not far down the

> road.

> Our bike was twice locked to the front fence and

> they used bolt cutters to cut the chain.

>

> This is the second time we have had our bike

> stolen and its tragic and costs a fortune.

>

> We don't know how to get around it other then

> locks and disk locks and a cover.

Sorry to hear that. Surely the police should be doing more as this really is ridiculous. The thieves seem to be on patrol every night at the moment looking for something to steal.Every time I hear a moped in the night I wonder what the damage will be in the morning.

Katie, do you mind me asking what tyoe of chain you were using?

I was in Putney at the weekend, and the residential street had a proper motorbike lockup with ground anchors. It would be good if we could get something like that in the area.

So 2 bikes stolen, a front wheel and a few top-boxes decided it was time I stepped up the security.

Ground Anchor with Almax chain and squire lock

Bike on driveway with security light and cctv

18mths on and so far all is quiet

If it's not secured to something heavy then can just lift onto a van and be off

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

not cheap but can stop the idiots

Just reached out to James Barber:

"Please take a look at the "more motorbike crime" Thread.

This is getting out of hand. I don't sleep quietly at night anymore as I know that every time I hear a moped I could be targeted AGAIN..

It is costing me a fortune in locks, insurance and cctv installation.

I don't feel safe anymore and nothing seems to be done to stop these crimes from happening. I have been reapplying for a garage but nothing is available.

I and many others rely on their motorbiks and scooters to go to work which in return generates the tax revenues of which part will go towards policing.

What is being discussed and what actions taken to stop this?"