New Classical Musician/Teacher East Dulwich

Luisa

Hello,

I've just moved to East Dulwich and wanted to ask if anyone knew about the classical music scene in ED.

I teach music privately (and in schools) so wondered where would be a good place to advertise for local students.

Always very keen to put concerts on, raising money for local charities etc. so info on venues and anything else relevant would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Luisa

Hello Luisa, Welcome to E Dulwich.

There's actually quite a cluster of classical musicians in the area (watch how many people carry instrument cases on the bus and train) drawn by the relatively cheap accommodation and closeness to the South Bank and other venues. As already mentioned the Dulwich Music Shop (on Northcross Rd, not Upland) is a clearing house for local Classical teachers. They sell and set up string and other instruments, do orders for the local schools etc and keep a pretty comprehensive list of local teachers. There is also Rupert and his music shop in Grove Vale, and though I have always found it a bit chaotic in there, there is always someone buying a recorder or ordering something. I think his thing is vocal music, but he?ll have a good overview.

You don?t say what you play (and teach) but if the area can sustain two more or less classical music shops then that suggests that there is pretty good demand for at least school age learning. JAGS, Dulwich College and Alleyns all have busy music departments and advertise vacancies in Classical Music Magazine. I also know that there are always adults keen to learn.

As for venues, Bob Bridges, the conductor of Southwark Concert Band knows everything there is to know about places around here and is a charming and kind man. If you are a wind or jazz player he will especailly thrilled to hear from you. www.southwarkconcertband.org.uk

Hook up with some of the very nice people in SCB and ? even though you might finds that you want to stretch your wings beyond that ? they will be supportive and friendly.

Good Luck

PS Not sure how to give you my private email to give you more information. Maybe if I click on 'send replies to me via email' I can respond - or the Aministator can advise on how people can get in touch directly if they want.

If you are wanting to get in touch with the Southwark Concert Band it is best to go through me (you'll probably end up doing so anyway) and I can certainly point you in the right direction for contacting other groups of the South London Community Group which is the umbrella for several other local groups.

Also, as Comus kindly pointed out the local schools are certainly a demanding lot for music. Don't forget to add Kingsdale and the Charter School to your list to check out though. If you get on the right side of the teachers/musicians at these they can set you on a positive path.

Thank you for all of your replies and being so helpful! I have posted a teaching off on this site in the 'offered' section:

I am a professional clarinettist and just moved to the area. I teach the clarinet privately and in 2 schools in North London. I would be very keen to find students locally.

I teach the ABRSM syllabus and Trinity Guildhall.

I have also successfully coached students through auditions - 2 of my students are in the National Childrens Orchestra - and I have students who have gained music scholarships to Marylebone, Wycombe Abbey, St Pauls, Channing. I also teach City of Londons winner of their Young Musician of the Year!

I also offer theory and extra tuition for GCSE, A level music.

Many thanks, Luisa