Forum Sponsors

www.crittersolutions.co.uk
xxxx
www.inshutters.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 27
messageTrains cancellations - latest
Posted by DovertheRoad 01 June, 2016 07:10

At least 4 trains into LB have been cancelled this morning inc the 0707, 0727 and 0807 not sure why...others heading south also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2016:06:02:22:16:01 by DovertheRoad.

messageRe: Trains cancelled today, Wed 1st June
Posted by DovertheRoad 01 June, 2016 07:24

Update: trains look scheduled to run between 0817 and 9am peak time but likely to be crowded due to above. Problem is apparently ongoing driver sickness issues. 0916 also down as cancelled

Posted by Chief 01 June, 2016 08:19

Posted by a_m 01 June, 2016 09:09

The trains were also awful yesterday - I stood for 45 minutes in the rain-lashed shelter on the platform as train after train was cancelled. Shocking service yet again from Southern. Surely they can't allow this sick note situation to continue?

Posted by mikeb 01 June, 2016 12:05

I think it's probably fairer to view "sick note" culture as being a ultimately a management problem: a poorly-motivated workforce, with sub-standard conditions and limited ways routes to fulfillment at work, can respond antagonistically and with increased absences from work.

I suspect at the heart of this is that Southern is trying to run the network on too little subsidy, or alternatively is trying to take excessive profit from the franchise - though not sure how one could ever disaggregate this without much more financial disclosure.

Posted by BrandNewGuy 01 June, 2016 12:53

One major problem is that no journalist ever properly investigates such disagreements, they just parrot the lines given to them from both sides. The union says that Southern is understaffed, so even just a few absences cause problems. The management says there's a sicknote culture.

How does Southern compare with other rail operators in terms of numbers, shifts etc? And what is the absentee rate through sickness elsewhere?

Until questions like this are asked and answered, then the poor old commuter will carry on suffering.

Posted by rahrahrah 01 June, 2016 12:55

One thing's for sure, profits will keep being made, regardless of what passenger's or staff's experience is like.

Posted by BrandNewGuy 01 June, 2016 13:59

Well, British Rail was profitable in the 50s and again in the 80s. Nothing wrong with profits, as long as they're not excessive.

Posted by Penguin68 01 June, 2016 14:05

BR's profits went to 'the railway' and stayed in the system. Privatised and private company profits go to the investors - many for UK utilities and rail companies outside the UK (and indeed some actually the state concerns of other countries). There is a difference.

Posted by Loz 01 June, 2016 14:37

I've been around long enough to remember BR. It was awful. If a company can run the railway better and make a profit, then that's fine by me.

Anyway, 'profit' doesn't all go to the train operating company. For this sort of stuff, fullfact.org are a good, independent examiner of the underlying facts.

[fullfact.org]

Posted by Mick Mac 01 June, 2016 15:08

It's half term - people get sick at half term.

Posted by DovertheRoad 01 June, 2016 15:26

Mick Mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's half term - people get sick at half term.

And often on Mondays. The 06:53 train on a Monday is cancelled more regularly than I'd like and "overrunning weekend engineering works" isn't a good excuse when there haven't been any.

Posted by JohnL 01 June, 2016 17:42

Most people who don't ever take time off sick (unless in hospital) don't understand this.
Anyway RMT blames the Govia dirty tricks department.

[www.itv.com]

I just tweet them pics now which for some reason both Thameslink and Southern then retweet smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2016:06:01:17:43:04 by JohnL.

Posted by Lowlander 01 June, 2016 22:11

DovertheRoad Wrote:
> Mick Mac Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's half term - people get sick at half term.
>
> And often on Mondays. The 06:53 train on a Monday
> is cancelled more regularly than I'd like and
> "overrunning weekend engineering works" isn't a
> good excuse when there haven't been any.

Odd...there isn't an 0653 train from ED to London bridge. There is an 0655...which hasn't been canceled at any time in the las 6 weeks [www.recenttraintimes.co.uk]

Posted by DovertheRoad 01 June, 2016 23:12

I get on at North Dulwich (hence 0653)...and it has been cancelled at least 4 times this year...

Posted by Alan Medic 01 June, 2016 23:42

DovertheRoad Wrote:
> I get on at North Dulwich (hence 0653)...and it
> has been cancelled at least 4 times this year...

That's less than once a month on average. You have high expectations.

Posted by DovertheRoad 02 June, 2016 04:43

You're right... we also take a regular 3 tight change journey to Weybridge from ND...lots of error potential and it rarely goes to plan.

I probably need to recalibrate.

Posted by BrandNewGuy 02 June, 2016 09:17

08.10 and 08.20 cancelled from ED this morning. Grateful for the National Rail app but not happy about getting a slowly crawling crowded 40 bus again.

Posted by DulwichFox 02 June, 2016 09:24

BrandNewGuy Wrote:
> 08.10 and 08.20 cancelled from ED this morning.
> Grateful for the National Rail app but not happy
> about getting a slowly crawling crowded 40 bus
> again.

I got the 40 to Borough daily for 14 years.. From North Cross rd.
Would be nodding off by the time I got to the station.

Bliss.

Posted by BrandNewGuy 02 June, 2016 09:51

It's usually OK as I catch it from Heber Road, so there's still lots of space, but on train cancellation days it's heaving. A book and an iPod are some consolation, however.

Posted by Lowlander 02 June, 2016 09:58

Trains were bad this morning: the 0807, 0817 and 0827 all cancelled from North Dulwich. I walked up to Herne Hill, thinking that the 0847 would have been rammed...

Posted by Jeremy 02 June, 2016 10:16

Luckily at PR we have other options (Overground, City Thameslink). But it really is inexcusable - whether it's under-staffing, skiving, or unofficial strike...

Posted by rendelharris 02 June, 2016 10:30

No great consolation when standing in the rain, but if you're delayed more than half an hour you can claim back from TfL: [tfl.gov.uk] though they say they won't pay for strike action - I wonder if they'll try to claim the alleged sick note campaign is strike action?

Posted by danielson00 02 June, 2016 11:54

You have to claim delay repay from Southern if its from ED.

Considering for an half hour (up to an hour) delay they pay 25% of the ticket price, which is around 3 on Oyster is it worth it?

Posted by lozc 02 June, 2016 12:01

0720 was cancelled going south this AM; 0731 was then nearly 10 minutes late. Hopeless currently. 30 minutes isn't much use as a 'delay repay' threshold when many of the journeys made from East Dulwich are so short.

Posted by rendelharris 02 June, 2016 12:05

danielson00 Wrote:
> You have to claim delay repay from Southern if its
> from ED.
>
> Considering for an half hour (up to an hour) delay
> they pay 25% of the ticket price, which is around
> 3 on Oyster is it worth it?

Financially not so much (though for people on low incomes and/or who face day after day of delays it might be), but if train companies begin to lose out significantly through mass claims for refunds they might consider sorting themselves out. Complaints can (and will) be ignored, if they have to stump up some cash...

Posted by Lowlander 02 June, 2016 12:21

You get 70p back if you have a rail only season ticket (which works out at roughly 1.60 a journey). This is the first time this year I've been eligible.

Posted by Laddy Muck 02 June, 2016 13:26

Jeremy Wrote:
> Luckily at PR we have other options (Overground,
> City Thameslink).

And, fortunately for those at the ED end, it's only a short hop on the bus to D. Hill for the overground and Thameslink services, though the latter service has proved unreliable for me on many a morning of late. Bah.

--------------------
And the Reds go marching ON! ON! ON!

Posted by bil 02 June, 2016 13:33

I wrote a letter to the Mayor complaining about the cancellations (southern) a couple of weeks ago.... I was so fed up!

Posted by Bic Basher 02 June, 2016 13:35

For the last year, Southern is nothing more than a brand of GTR (Govia Thameslink Railway) who operate the Thameslink, Great Northern, Gatwick Express and Southern brands.

So you have this large franchise running trains from King's Lynn to Brighton who are trying to streamline everything from ticket offices to counductors on trains to maintain profits for their shareholders.

Fortunately this franchise is only until 2021, when it's very likely the Metro services from PR/ED/ND will be handed over to TfL, leaving the profitable services out of London to the private sector.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 27

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed