Dulwich Leisure Centre - new management?

And the council have promised to extend their free gym and swim offer to all residents in July ? there's currently a pilot for those under 18 and over 60. Has anyone used this? According to the Southwark site, Dulwich Leisure Centre's free swim hours for the over-60s are 3-4pm Tue and Thu, with gym 8-10am Mon.

Hi cella,

The promise of free swim and gym technically is happening as you describe but not exactly the spirit when this election promise was made. It didn't come with such caveats even when challenged. it was simply and directly stated as free swim and gym.

My girlfriend wants to join the gym in the next week, but just wondering if it would be better to wait until the new management takes over? I assume memberships will automatically transfer over, but maybe they will offer introductory membership prices?

Well if Dulwich Darling is correct I would like to think that's good news then. Despite being poorly maintained, most of the equipment is of reasonable quality - hopefully they will upgrade some of it.

Still not convinced it will happen though.

From the mouth of the horse...

More info on launch date but new equipment yes (if not immediately then very soon)

Few changes to offerings (hot yoga anyone?)

Unlikely swim only or gym only membership but more likely single site membership

Def address maintenance

All existing memberships will carry over

New membership packages being costed now

Full comms on all this at contract live

More space for free weights, increasingly popular for both genders and it can be quite daunting vying for space with more experienced lifters

... an additional squat rack because it's really popular equipment (not a smith machine)

...failing that benches with safety spotters to free up the rack a little more

On the whole I find the gym ok as I mainly use it for the classes. I do hope that the new management comes with better maintenance contract suppliers as machines can sometimes be out of action for some time. The air conditioning is variable and, my main bugbear, the entry turnstile rarely works first time so you have to have several goes at it with a queue behind you. Whether these issues are down to the previous poor managers or duff maintenance contracts isn't clear but hopefully the Council will have incorporated better performance targets into the new contract.

I echo the points about free weights/squat rack. That area at peak times is always busy yet you will find at least 10 pieces of CV equipment not in use. Makes sense to slightly alter it. That is very individual to my needs however so I woudl imagine a poll or forum of some kind of existing members would provide a more general view.

The time it takes to repair equipment is laughable i woudl like to see that improved.

The situation with the turnstile is ridiculous. I know of a member who didn't pay membership for a year and was never challenged due to the turnstile situation. It's in their own interest to resolve it and extend it, single file first thing in the morning is unnecessary.

Improvements in the consistency of classes would be a bonus.

The air con needs addressing ASAP.

Are they taking over at Brockwell too? I'm a member there and have always been allowed to use the gym at East Dulwich as they are both Fusion. I'm not sure if Brockwell is in Lambeth or Southwark...

The air con is the biggest issue for me, yesterday was so unbearably hot I left after 20 mins (and I'm an Australian who isn't afraid of hot weather), they used to have freestanding units but these seem to have disappeared...bring on the new management! However must say, I hope they keep the really nice, helpful blond guy on reception, he is one of the few who is genuinely helpful.