Insufficient visual harm - what do you think?

The attached photo is a large advertisement on the side of the Londis star - corner of North Cross Road with Lordship Lane.

This large isn advertisement doesn't have advertising consent - permission to be there - and is illegal.

Southwark Council Planning Enforcement official have said they think it does'n't cause enough harm.

To me that feels like a very slippery slope.

What do other think?

Is it fine if this remains and we essentially give up trying to restrain mass advertising in East Dulwich?

Or should we fight this one.

Officer stated "It was not considered expedient to take enforcement action owing to the location of the sign and the immediate character of the surroundings. Insufficient visual harm resulted to warrant formal action."

I do have concerns that council officials didn't want to take on a firm of lawyers over this - ironic that a law firm would breach so flagrantly planning laws.

I think it should be taken down. If a firm wants to advertise it should do it properly: social media is free and local publications like SE22, Dulwich Diverter etc won't be that expensive. I agree it is not distasteful or ugly but it is easy to set a precedent.

On the subject, are the fairs and circuses allowed by Southwark to put up ad hoardings if they take them down after the event?

The sign itself doesn't bother me, but if it needs permission and doesn't have it then I think it should either get permission or be removed.

It is setting a precedent otherwise and other businesses could fairly argue that they can do the same.

There's no point in having rules if they aren't enforced. You can't make exceptions unless there's a very clear and compelling reason. In my opinion.

Alex K Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James, if they're in breach of planning-permission

> regulations, go after them. Lawyers of all people

> should stay inside the law. This sign may be

> oh-all-right. The next won't be.

Have to say I agree. Lawyers of all people should know better. I also thought this about the huge taxi firm signs that appeared - often high on buildings- do they have permission too?

Yes, although there may be more important things in life, a law firm of all people should stick to the law. Whether it causes 'enough harm' or not is irrelevant, sounds like Southwark Council Planning Enforcement are just being lazy.