Closest Sandy Beach to ED

rupert45 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Southend is closer.

Southend IS nearer. But a terrible drive.. Blackwell tunnel.. A13 A127.. constant speed limit changes and cameras.

Has good parking on Sea Front. Paid.

I thought it was Pebbles.. or does it now have sand.. ?

Foxy

Herne Bay which is about ten miles short of Margate is good. Lots to do there. Reculver which is about two miles further on has a large sandy beach if you want peace and quiet. There is an Abbey ruin and a caravan site with a pub but not much else.

Regards

Councillor Charlie Smith

Labour Member for the East Dulwich Ward

Townleygreen Wrote:

> Southend is sandy, Foxy

Yes thats right..

I remember now.. When I was a kid 50's it was actually shingle not pebbles...

May 2010..

THE Three Shells Beach in Southend has received a makeover with a hundred tonnes of fresh sand.

Lorries made the mammoth delivery today, timing the operation carefully when the tide was at its lowest ebb.

Those spreading the sand then had to work against the clock to ensure it was evenly distributed across the beach by the time waves reached the shore once again.

The project has been funded by Philip Miller, owner of The Three Shells Beach Cafe

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/8171980.Southend_beach_gets_tonnes_of_new_sand/

It's Brighton that has pebbles..

Foxy

As a child I always went to Leysdown or Sheerness on the Isle of Sheppey. But places like that area probably not very fashionable nowadays. I can't recall if it had a sandy beach or not. I would hazard a guess at it being unlikely.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> As a child I always went to Leysdown or Sheerness

> on the Isle of Sheppey. But places like that area

> probably not very fashionable nowadays. I can't

> recall if it had a sandy beach or not. I would

> hazard a guess at it being unlikely.

>

> Louisa.

The beach is sandy (ish) in parts at Minster at low tide. But it also has the sinking variety so I'd be careful and the 'cliffs' are marching their way into the sea . However, it is the second best fossil beach in the UK and it's very quite at the end bit, near the wrecked boat. There's also the wild sea cabbages on that stretch to, have a nibble but they are protected species I think

Parking near the Beach Hotel and walk up the the concrete prom until it stops, thereafter on the path.

But if you want sand, then West Beach at Lilttlehampton maybe? Or Witterings

My favourite beach is Wedt Wittering. Great sandy beach & sand dunes managed by Nat'l Trust. You pay about ?7 to park at the beach but it is worth it as beautifully landscaped. Laid out with grass so families can play ball games and have picnics & BBQ on the grassy areas just by the sandy beach. Crabbing pools so bring bucket & bacon to catch one! Sailing club etc. Top beach! I know someone who has a 3 bedroom cottage they rent out that is gorgeous and a walk to the sandy beach. We stayed for Easter and had a fab time even tho weather wasn't great then. Top pick!