Noisy bin men

No it's not. And yes you can. Look up the licensing conditions of the premises who have such unsociable collection hours. Get in touch with the licensing team at Southwark and quote the specific clause of their licence that's being flouted. They'll soon tow the line.

I had the same problem and now know that the first step is to approach the manager of the premises where the noise is being made. They should then contact Veiola and insist on them doing the collection after 8am. The collection that bothered me has now changed to a normal hour.

What singalto said.

Veiola were making a racket at 2am at a business near me. I popped in during the day to speak to the people who work there. They had no idea Veiola were being so cheeky, and confirmed their contract required collections before 11pm. Problem sorted, and as a bonus we now know each other by name. Despite that being frowned upon between neighbours in London ;)

I think the problem I have is the bin men are doing a whole stretch of shops. About 5 premises in one go. So a bit harder to contact each one individually. I have emailed Southwark licensing and the ever helpful James Barber. So fingers crossed. Thanks for all your advice.

• 4 weeks later...
Unfortunately none of the 5 businesses with early morning collections have anything in their licenses about when refuse can be collected. Southwark only refer me to the noise and nuisance team meaning I have to call them when there is a noise so they can come an listen to it. But the binmen come and go in ten minutes so that doesn't work for me. I've asked James if there is anything more he can do but it doesn't look promising. It's crazy to me that it's allowed, but it seems it is. Oh well. I was totally expecting loud noises and disturbances living near these premises. I was ready for early deliveries and boisterous people. I can sleep through the sirens and the loud motorbikes. But those darn bin men tooting their horn and emptying glass at 5am is considerably louder than I expected.