Entrances to Goose Green

It would be really good to have an entrance to Goose Green in the northwest corner (by the junction of East Dulwich Road and Grove Vale), so one could walk across the green instead of up past the roundabout and along the heavily polluted East Dulwich Road in order to cut in to the Green there. It seems that a lot of people would be moving that way between the station and the green (and vice versa) and yet the direct route is effectively blocked off.

yea I thought there were too few entrances as well. Went in it for the first time the other day to eat my fish and chips from the new Rose's fish bar place (v. good I should add) and ended up having to walk the length of the damn park to get in it! Should have just hopped the fence but I had a bike with me.

dirac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yea I thought there were too few entrances as

> well. Went in it for the first time the other day

to eat my fish and chips from the new Rose's fish

> bar place (v. good I should add) and ended up

> having to walk the length of the damn park to get

> in it! Should have just hopped the fence but I had

> a bike with me.

Funny that .. I walked through G.G today .. it was strewn with Fish & Chip boxes 5-6 from Rose's place..

Ady's rd. end.

I visited Rose's first week it opened.. FREE CHIPS it said in big letters but was told offer had ended after 2 days..

I wanted to eat in so asked for a plate.. Was told Restaurant was close but I could eat outside but no plate.

Just a box. No salt and vinegar on the tables.. had to go back inside to get some. No metal Knife and Fork.

Plastic wood.

The owner became extreemly abusive when I mentiond another F&C's place nearby saying the fish there was frozen..

Which I doubt. ?

A notice outside stated her fish was fresh daily from Scotland. ?? Private jet. ?

Anyway it was't the best Fish & Chips and the batter stuck to the bottom of the box and was very greasy.

The chips were very poor. Little crispy bits.

It wasn't a good experiance.. but it was onl their 3rd day being open.

DulwichFox

I can see why more gates could be useful, but I think it would be a pity to break up the expanse of green grass with more paths.

The gate opposite the church isn't far from the fish shop, is it?

KidKruger Wrote:

> As a dog owner I'd be against it mainly because

> it'd be yet another gate for twats to leave open

> even though it was bolted shut when they entered.

Surely dog owners who let their dogs off the lead can control their dog?

Oh, I forget, some can't.

(not directed at you, just the other dog owners who are slowly turning young children to fear dogs as the owners can't control them. I have experienced this many times in GG. My 4 YO fears dogs).

it's not about being able to control one's dog or not - it's yet another hazard for people in charge of dogs (or children or any other beings with more energy than sense) to worry about. perhaps the gates could be fitted with self-closers.

while we're on the subject, a gate at the corner of East Dulwich Road and Adys Road would be good too.

What a wank comment that does exactly what in the first sentence it denies that it is trying to do.

Out of control ?

Yeah I should have remembered that when the tosser left the gate open when it was too inconvenient for him to lean over and close the gate from his racing bike. And also I should have remembered it when the dog was hit by a car moments later.

Out of control, yeah that's it.

nice.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> i dont think extra entrances/exits necessarily

> require extra paths. I would have thought most

> dogs could jump the low fence around GG anyway, if

> they were so inclined.

If you have gates without paths, you will have unsightly bare patches across the green where the grass has been worn away.

???? Wrote:

> Why not remove all the fences/gates?

...and build a multi- story car park.

That would solve the Parking problem and bring in loads of revenue..

..and would be a huge benifit to those people with allergies to tree and grass pollen.

..then pedestianise Lordship Lane

.. and then ........

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Why not remove all the fences/gates?

>

> ...and build a multi- story car park.

>

> That would solve the Parking problem and bring in

> loads of revenue..

>

> ..and would be a huge benifit to those people with

> allergies to tree and grass pollen.

>

> ..then pedestianise Lordship Lane

>

> .. and then ........

>

> Foxy

And then.....They could build a Waitrose...

which would I'm sure delight some locals :)

I'm sure there's a sensible health & safety reason for not having an entrance right off a busy roundabout but they could definitely add one near the EDR corner (the service road side rather than the busy side)

The gate near the church hasn't worked for months so may as well not exist but they've just spent an eye watering amount redoing Camberwell Green - they can obviously afford to replace with self closers and add one path.

civilservant Wrote:

> it's not about being able to control one's dog or

> not - it's yet another hazard for people in charge

> of dogs (or children or any other beings with more

> energy than sense) to worry about. perhaps the

> gates could be fitted with self-closers.

> while we're on the subject, a gate at the corner

> of East Dulwich Road and Adys Road would be good

> too.

Actually I asked James Barber about a year ago to get self-closures on all the gates plus sign to remind people to close after using. It was done and worked well for about 6 months. Now the gates don't work so well and people still leave them open. I think the gates get quite a lot of abuse from the people using them.

worldwiser Wrote:

> I'm sure there's a sensible health & safety reason

> for not having an entrance right off a busy

> roundabout but they could definitely add one near

> the EDR corner (the service road side rather than

> the busy side)

>

> The gate near the church hasn't worked for months

> so may as well not exist but they've just spent an

> eye watering amount redoing Camberwell Green -

> they can obviously afford to replace with self

> closers and add one path.

The pedestrian gate opposite the church is in full use.

I've used it several times recently.

Are you confusing it with the entrance for cars etc further down, which is only open when there are events on the Green and people with stalls etc need to drive in?

And didn't Camberwell Green get lottery funding, or have I mixed that up with something else?

Sue Wrote:

> And didn't Camberwell Green get lottery funding,

> or have I mixed that up with something else?

Southwark News reported it as ?1m for the park revamp. It's difficult to say where all that came from, as it was bundled up in the ?13m revamp of Camberwell including the library etc. TFL certainly gave a slice for the whole scheme, but I'm pretty sure most of that million for the Green would have come from Southwark's Parks And Open Spaces budget. They certainly took the credit for it :-)

I've heard of Kissing Gates Foxy, but a Frigging Gate is a new one for me...

DulwichFox Wrote:

> So we can send a Spaceship to examine the moons of

> Jupiter..

> .. send Astronauts to the International Space

> Station..

>

> .. But we cannot find someone to fix a frigging

> Gate.

>

> DulwichFox