Wheelie Bin etiquette

What are the rules concerning leaving your wheelie bin out on the pavement in Dulwich/Southwark? I've noticed more and more households are permanently leaving their bins out on the pavement, even in the more salubrious areas of the borough. Thanks

People do this in our road and sometimes it's unpleasant to have to walk past overloaded smelly bins. A couple of years ago everyone in the road received a standard letter from Southwark reminding people to put their bins away as it was unsightly, gave pedestrians less room for manoeuvre etc but not sure how this is formally policed. Unwanted household items & furniture are also left outside houses. A lot of us do care how the street looks and just don't understand how these residents don't seem to worry about the area immediately outside their own homes.

Depends on what you mean by permanently leaving the bins outside? On collection day I try to leave the bins just inside/outside the gate for collection.

Had a letter from Southwark a while ago saying not to leave bins on the pavement, which I didn't do anyway but maybe this was the case.

Not sure what part of the borough you live in but our bin men are good at staying on top of the situation!

Well, as the op says, bins are left outside all the time and not inside gates so not just on collection days. The Southwark letter we received was referring to this and not to do with rubbish collection days.

Why not just speak to your neighbours? It's a reasonable request, especially when you think about people with buggies/dogs/children and those with disabilities.

The same goes for those selfish folk who let their privets and trees grow into the road. A savvy person with a few days to spare and a pair of shears could clean up this summer.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The same goes for those selfish folk who let their

> privets and trees grow into the road. A savvy

> person with a few days to spare and a pair of

> shears could clean up this summer.

Yea I get you on that one. I wouldn't call my neighbor selfish, but she's let her front hedge go a bit since she had the extension done and since moved back in: people can only pass single file on the pavement now. Needless to say when trimming mine yesterday I did hers, took me 5 mins with the trimmer. Took it back 45cm without denuding it too much, and will take it back more next month.

If they have space and they are in my way I just hastily throw them in their front garden/porchway so it's in their way and have to do something about it. Although doing it for the whole street would be knackering.

Don't think the op was talking about bin collection days, more about people who just permanently keep their bins outside on the pavement. In our road the residents have been asked but refuse to do anything about it so nothing to do with holidays, disabilities, age etc. As I mentioned earlier, if they don't respond to neighbours or Southwark letters we are not sure how these issues are formally policed or whether there is anything anyone can do about it.