Man searching through wheelie bins this morning

About 10 mins ago my girlfriend heard, and then watched from the bathroom window, someone going through our wheelie bins outside of our house on Danby St (off bellenden road).

By time she'd got out of the shower to warn me, he was a couple doors down.

He was going through the neighbors green bin, rifling through loads of clothes and then dumping it in the brown bin; systematically going through it. He didn't look in the blue recycling one, so assume he wasn't after letters etc.

I asked him what he was up to, he didn't understand a word but held up some shoes he'd reclaimed and pointed to his bag where there were more shoes...

He had a blue polo shirt and blue shorts on. Also had baseball cap on (curved peak). Pretty sure he had a shin/lower leg tattoo on right side.

Anyone else seen this before? People walking by and postman didn't even bat an eyelid...

p.s. sorry for duplicate wheelie bin thread, this is a different matter so thought I'd put it in a new one. Also if needs to be moved please go ahead...

Someone left some hardly used converse trainers by a wheelie bin in my size once, I was grateful for them and still wear them today. Why you bothered so much if you'd chuck them out? aside from the fact that granted it's socially a bit rude, but just wondering. surely better than land fill? I think you did the right thing, asked and he showed you what he took. Case closed. If he were sifting through my blue bin, as you say, I'd be more concerned.

whoops haha! edited the spelling mistake!

Oh no, once I'd found out it was for the shoes it was ok, I just have seen other threads on here where some people have been rifling through the recycling looking for bank statements and other sensitive mail. No problem with reusing clothes, it's a crime it was in the bin in the first place.

Me having to go through and sort through all the stuff he'd emptied from the green bin to brown bin I should have emphasised as he'd opened the bags and tipped them out into it.

People shouldn't be going on anyone's property unless calling to deliver/visit etc. I don't like waste but I also don't like people literally overstepping the mark like this.

Given that people are in need - as this man's actions show - perhaps EDF posters should have a good clear out and pass on their pre-loved clothes to the local charity shops or organisations.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Given that people are in need - as this man's

> actions show - perhaps EDF posters should have a

> good clear out and pass on their pre-loved clothes

> to the local charity shops or organisations.

Unfortunately, some of the local charity shops (eg the Mind shop) charge what I would consider quite a lot for pre-loved clothes.

May not sound a lot if you have a job, but it is if you don't.

Whereas getting them free from a bin costs nowt and saves them from landfill.

Not that I am condoning going onto somebody's property to rummage through their bin.

Don't put stuff people might actually want to re-use in the bin. Leave the shoes (or whatever) on your front wall with a note saying 'please take' if no one has within a day, put them in the bin or take them to a charity shop or offer them on free cycle... (not directed at you, dirac!)

messageRe: Man searching through wheelie bins this morning new

Posted by VOXPOP Today, 08:30AM

Don't put stuff people might actually want to re-use in the bin. Leave the shoes (or whatever) on your front wall with a note saying 'please take' if no one has within a day, put them in the bin or take them to a charity shop or offer them on free cycle... (not directed at you, dirac!)

What, and risk the curtain-twitchers complain about how you're ruining the neighbourhood? http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1705761

VOXPOP Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't put stuff people might actually want to

> re-use in the bin. Leave the shoes (or whatever)

> on your front wall with a note saying 'please

> take' if no one has within a day, put them in the

> bin or take them to a charity shop or offer them

> on free cycle... (not directed at you, dirac!)

Ha no worries!

That is one thing I love about this area: if you want something rid, put it on your bin turn around three times and say 'belongings begone' as you are doing it and it's gone before you notice!

On a serious note I'd never put things in the bin like that. I'm terrible for skip diving and seeing what people have left out for people to reuse. I've found so many amazing things over the years, and literally never have to buy wood if I need it. So much good quality wood in the skips in London/this area that just need the nails pulled out and cleaning up a bit; it's a massive waste.