Poorly trained P13 Driver(s)

Yesterday evening (27th July) I was surprised to find a stationary ambulance (on blue lights) outside my house in Underhill Road - it was being blocked by a P13 bus that would not move out of its way. In the end the ambulance had to back up to allow the bus to pass. In the past I have heard P13 drivers explain (when they would not maneuver to allow passage of other vehicles) that they could not, or were not allowed to, back their vehicles.

In 49 years of driving I have never before seen an ambulance responding to an emergency have to back-up to allow a bus to pass. The ambulance was very visible (blue lights) and the bus could have stopped to allow safe passage further up the road, but there are some P13 drivers who seem insensitive to oncoming traffic and simply surge ahead with a 'get out of my way 'cos I'm not moving' attitude.

The hold-up was only a couple of minutes, perhaps less, but, for emergency ambulances, that sort of hold-up might be critical.

It happened just into College Ward, on the boundary with ED Ward, but also (being just south of the Old Cemetery) pretty close to Renata's stamping ground. Maybe a councilor could raise this with TFL?

Why would a councillor raise it unless contacted with full details by a witness - which could or could not be you? I agree that it's worth complaining about but to ask a councillor when you could very easily DIY is too much to ask. You saw it, you're aggrieved, so why shouldn't it be you to take the next step (which is what I would have done).

I am hoping that the ambulance driver will have reported it - but (curious as this may sound) my locus standi as regards TFL or other arms of London Governance is substantially less than that of an elected councilor, even at Borough level. If either Jah Lush or Nigello (or Mr Barber) actually believe that an ordinary Joe contacting TFL will have any leverage or influence at all, or that such a report would not immediately be filed in the round filing cabinet by the door then they have a great deal more faith in the actions of the apparat than I. I have anyway no idea to whom in TFL to complain (as the regulator of the buses).

As far as details were concerned, it happened on the evening of 27th July, probably about 7:30 or 8:00pm on Underhill Road, the ambulance was approaching the Langton Rise junction from the south, traveling towards Barry Road (the bus then obviously heading south towards Melford) - I did not take any further details of either vehicle.

Agree with Nigello, Jah Lush, Mr Barber. It's down to the ambulance service to make a complaint or you if you witnessed it.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why would a councillor raise it unless contacted

> with full details by a witness - which could or

> could not be you? I agree that it's worth

> complaining about but to ask a councillor when you

> could very easily DIY is too much to ask. You saw

> it, you're aggrieved, so why shouldn't it be you

> to take the next step (which is what I would have

> done).

Abellio London is the company that operates the P13 route. As an initial measure you could write to them about the incident, and inquire about what training and instructions are given to their drivers about such interactions and their avoidance. That might have the best chance of having direct influence at the operator/driver level. London TravelWatch also require that an operator has been given the chance to address a problem, before they will themselves deal with any complaint. See http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/complaints/an_introduction_complaining.

If you want to involve TfL at this stage, how about cc'ing them your letter to Abellio, and asking for their own response to your inquiry about training, instructions, and practice? They are a public body, subject to the FoIA.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am hoping that the ambulance driver will have

> reported it - but (curious as this may sound) my

> locus standi as regards TFL or other arms of

> London Governance is substantially less than that

> of an elected councilor, even at Borough level. If

> either Jah Lush or Nigello (or Mr Barber) actually

> believe that an ordinary Joe contacting TFL will

> have any leverage or influence at all, or that

> such a report would not immediately be filed in

> the round filing cabinet by the door then they

> have a great deal more faith in the actions of the

> apparat than I. I have anyway no idea to whom in

> TFL to complain (as the regulator of the buses).

>

That's absolute nonsense. Many a driver is pulled in to the office daily to explain a complaint that's come in from joe public either via TFL or the bus company itself.

How do you expect changes to occur if you don't do anything to help it?

Many a driver is pulled in to the office daily to explain a complaint that's come in from joe public either via TFL or the bus company itself.

When a bus drove into my wife's car (stationary at lights) at the Plough, removing her wing mirror, it took 18 months for any settlement - the driver claiming, and being supported by the bus company, that my wife had suddenly reversed into him, thus causing her to lose her mirror. At a traffic light. In the end their insurance settled by default, when they wouldn't respond to our insurance. So no, I don't hold out much hope that the bus company will act properly.

Given that experience, I too would be sceptical to report another problem but I would still do it and would copy in other parties (like the MP, councillor etc).

A coach almost ran over me near to Waterlook Bridge/Imax after the driver had sped up at a pelican crossing and gone through a red light. I got a reply telling me that the driver had been given a warning and training, which was a good outcome. I tell you this to show that it can be worth complaining.

I have now had a (satisfactory) response from TFL to this:-

Dear xxxxx

Thanks for your email on 31 July about a route P13 bus driver you observed forcing an ambulance on an emergency call to reverse back.

I appreciate the time you?ve taken to write to us about this and I?m sorry for any concern this caused you.

We expect a very high standard of service from every bus driver in London whilst on the roads. If requested to by emergency services bus drivers should reverse the bus in order to allow them to pass through. Poor driving standards or driving without due care or attention is unacceptable.

We continue to monitor driving performance, to ensure that high standards are followed and maintained. Every month we carry out over 600 Driver Quality Monitoring surveys. This provides us with technical assessments of their driving skills. Drivers are assessed on acceleration and braking, as well as the use of mirrors and road positioning.

I can assure you I?ve been in contact with Abellio who operates the bus route P13 on our behalf and made them aware of your comments. With the information you?ve helpfully provided they?ll identify the driver who'll be spoken to about this and appropriate action will be taken.

Thanks again for getting in touch. If I can be of any more assistance please contact me directly.....

Kind regards

(name)

Customer Service Adviser

Transport for London Customer Services

Amended to say - actually - I wrote to them on the 29th July - but the damn e-mail got caught in my outbox for 2 days!