Pretty's in North Cross Road?

Tima Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Think the confectioner/bakery sign is on place

> next to what was Pretty's, perhaps?

Pretty's had greengrocer's plus restaurant next door.

The sign was certainly on only one of them, but I wouldn't have thought either site was big enough for a French restaurant.

I assumed they would be combined....

uncleglen Wrote:

> Ironically the Sweets and bakery place is right

> next to the dentist...

Perhaps they are in business together?

Why now when we are more sugar aware and Jamie and his crusade is gaining momentum.

The Duck Egg Cafe has absorbed the Pretty's brunch bunch, but I had fantasies of a greengrocer selling

Webbs Wonderful, Kentish apples, fresh radishes, (fresh everything) local honey, eggs etc, and box up orders and deliver,

now apparently the antithesis of healthy eating smashes yet another idle dream.......

Lynne Wrote:

> ED doesn't need a dedicated greengrocer. What it

> needs is a new restaurant. You have to walk for

> several yards to find one

best post of the day, Lynne, you win !

Jah Lush Wrote:

> The greengrocer went out of business because the

> owner couldn't be bothered to run it.

I thought it was more to do with a family dispute over the lease?

(gossip, gossip, chatter chatter)

hello Abe, for myself, bearing in mind that I moved away and returned in 2014, my impressions on entering the Pretty's greengrocers were:

it needed a good sweep and a lick of paint would not have gone amiss

the service was lacklustre and Chris whllst knowing everyone and popular did not take up my request for a weekly delivery

of heavy veg, after offering

Most importantly, the quality of the produce offered was poor and expensive, and not fresh.

limp carrots and bendy radishes

the honey was expensive

the machine outside making fruit drinks did not look as though it had been hosed down in months

the missus objected to being addressed as 'young lady' by an assistant whilst he was walking away -

and personal comments made.

altogether a lame excuse for a greengrocers in an area of healthy living, especially after we discovered

Horniman and Brockley markets, as my post on Horniman Market thread describes.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> If a greengrocer was what people wanted the old

> one wouldn't have gone out of business.

Yeah Abe, it had nothing to do with that and it didn't go out of business. Talk about how to spread gossip you have no idea about.

aerie Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The greengrocer went out of business because

> the

> > owner couldn't be bothered to run it.

>

>

> yes - and it showed

It had been there for ages, so he was probably well bored with it!

*Bob* Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The greengrocer went out of business because

> the

> > owner couldn't be bothered to run it.

>

> I thought it was more to do with a family dispute

> over the lease?

>

> (gossip, gossip, chatter chatter)

It was as the lease was sold by Chris' mother in law to a third party who then priced Chris out (possibly looking for s different business paying more rent)

Chris' son then moved back in paying more for a smaller space and as a result the business didn't survive

A shame really as it used to be very good and I mourn the loss of another independent green grocer who could advise on fruit and veg (something that the supermarkets don't do)

It is a tough business and supermarkets have squeezed a lot of independent grocers out of the market which I think is sad.

• 4 weeks later...

Poor quality of painting, refurb, etc currently in progress at Pretty's old shop! Doesn't look promising in terms of whoever is likely to open up a new business there?

North Cross Road is great and deserves better!!!