PCSO's in Dulwich

LibraCarr

Hi,

This evening (6pm) I walked behind to PCSO'S laden with take away food from the Dulwich Tandoori and heading towards the nick, I then walked past Barclay's and saw two Police Officers withdrawing cash!

My question is - were the two PCSO's getting food for prisoners or was it that they got the food for officers, and because they charged for going the two PC's had to withdraw extra money. Either way you would have thought that they would have given them a lift, to keep the food warm.

Its a darn good job we do not have to pay for the police service, if we did they might be held to account.

There, thats another moan of my chest!

Regards,

Libra Carr.

Libra if you mean the two young one, they visit DT on a regular basis, enjoying a light refreshment whilst w8ing for their food and having a good ol' chat with staff in there before sauntering off back to the station.

As an observation young (PCSO) lad tuck ya shirt in and stand up straight you look like a gangster type yob!

I'm sorry, have I completely misundrstood this or are you actually complaining about Community Support Officers eating while on duty?

Last time I checked public sector workers, shift workers and volunteers are all entitled to meal breaks just like everyone else. Even I get to eat while on duty occasionally.

As for "having a good ol' chat with the staff" they are community support workers, surely the whole point is for them to form good links with the community, including local businesses?

Why do PCSOs go everywhere in twos, sometimes threes? I saw two groups of threes walking about thirty yards from each other, going in the same direction, the other week. I would have asked them whether they had codependency issues had I not been on a bus.

Hi,

Just to clear up the confusion, the point that I was trying to make was that the PCSO's appeared un-profesional with their swagger and food in the carrier bag. It is not the first time I have seen them or wardens doing shopping whilst on duty. If they are working then they should work. All nicks have good canteen facilities, and if that food does not appeal bring your own in.

They lose respect because they do not gain respect.

Oh and by the way I am male not female. The moral of the story is not to assume.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

LibraCarr, Dulwich PS does not have a canteen and as for your statement that "all nicks have good canteen facilities", let's just say the moral of the story is not to assume.

Tony L.S. is on point when he says these guys are entitled to buy their lunch wherever they want. Furthermore, it's of benefit to the community that Police officers and MPS employees use local establishments. The proprietors of such places are often a good source of intel as what is going on in the local area and so forth.

Slightly petty that your respect for them is lost over this minor issue.

E2A: Nero, the reason you will often see 3 PCSO's rather than 2: it's the standard number of PCSO's on each Safer Neighbourhood team.

LibraCarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

> Just to clear up the confusion, the point that I

> was trying to make was that the PCSO's appeared

> un-profesional with their swagger and food in the

> carrier bag. It is not the first time I have seen

> them or wardens doing shopping whilst on duty. If

> they are working then they should work. All nicks

> have good canteen facilities, and if that food

> does not appeal bring your own in.

>

> They lose respect because they do not gain

> respect.

>

> Oh and by the way I am male not female. The moral

> of the story is not to assume.

>

> Regards,

>

> Libra Carr.

Hi,

Just to clear the matter. A person wearing the uniform of his employer is deemed to on duty whilst wearing the uniform. My wife is uniformed but changes out of uniform when going out at lunchtime. This seems to compound the laziness of these particular officers. The MET are far more tolerant than any other employer I know. Besides, if you are going to work, and you know the food is not what you like, you take your food in. The point that I tried to make was that they were scruffy, unkempt, had a very large bag of food, and created a bad impression of themselves and colleagues

Regards,

Libra Carr.

What Horsebox said.

I give them respect for what they do and what they're trying to do in their job to help the community and not if they have a swagger or are carrying food. I like the fact they actually interact with people, I recently chatted to one PCSO in the queue in Somerfields and it was good to meet him, he got respect from me for "being a real person". It reminded me of seeing NYPD officers in coffee shops having a coffee, makes them more human and approachable, even if they are in uniform.

Hi,

Not bored, just very very saddened that people get a job, put on a uniform, and do not give a monkey's about there appearance or impressions they create.

Southwark wardens do not create respect. They were laughed at and consequently the council changed the uniform, in the hope that it would improve, It did not. It is the same with the PCSO's they just get laughed at. I have not seen one person give them respect. Shopkeepers are polite to them but that is all. Sadly, they are in the middle. The sooner they create respect for themselves by wearing their hat properly and not on the side and the sooner they appear smart, the respect may be greater for them.

I travel the country and today saw officers in Exeter, Devon and in Nottingham looking smart. If other towns and city's can do it why can't we?

Regards,

Libra Carr.

LibraCarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A person wearing the

> uniform of his employer is deemed to on duty

> whilst wearing the uniform.

Not necessarily. It's not true for prostitutes or workers at Sainsbury's, but it's probably true for surgeons, abbateurs and the myriad employees of Abercrombie and Fitch. Service personnel are somewhere in between. Only last month, servicepeople were encouraged to wear their uniforms in public more often, whether on duty or not. And, if your rule was true, the folk at the Cenotaph would get an annual ticketing.

Anyhow, a couple of years ago, faced with an unaccountable loss of public confidence, the Immovable Plod asked all the creatures of the Met, very nicely, if they wouldn't mind wearing their uniforms more often, and patronize local businesses, rather than lurking in the canteen. Which is why you have the PCSOs parading their cheerful anoraks and inflatable stab-jackets in the chicken shops and poundstretchers.

I'm not sure if it does much to increase the public's confidence in the Met, but it has clogged the streets with uniformed snoopers and botherers which is, I'd wager, what the Immovable Plod's political masters were after.