(Door to door) Scam?

J27

Just a warning - some weeks ago a young woman came to our door asking for money as she'd completed a sponsored walk. She claimed that my husband had sponsored her for ?20, and his name was on her form, as was one of my neighbour's. I paid her, and had a nice chat - she seemed genuine.

She came back this evening, with the same story and asking for the payment. The sponsorship sheet looked very like the one she showed me last time, but with my husband's name scribbled out, as were some of the others, so I couldn't be totally sure it was the same one. But I was sure she was the same person, although she claimed she'd not been here before.

She claimed to be raising money for cancer support. Maybe she is genuine and just very forgetful/disorganized. But I'm pretty sure she was lying.

I don't like to believe the worst of people, but in this case I think I was conned the first time - luckily not twice!

I live in Upland Road, and she was doing the rounds at around 7pm.

J

Apparently she was back in Upland Road this evening. She has a name of someone who lives at the particular house she's calling at, on her list, which makes it look genuine - but we're sure it isn't... (Don't know how she gets the names - maybe the electoral roll? or recycling bin?)

J

• 2 weeks later...
Did she have any children in tow? We've had a lady try the same a couple of times (with a well worn tatty sponsorship sheet on a clipboard). The story just didn't ring true and I politely declined. Since then I've seen her in the rounds in various streets in local area as I've been driving past. Usually she has a child in a buggy and one or two walking alongside.

No she didn't have children. She was quite young - I'd say around 20 - and said she was a student.

The first time she seemed very credible, but the second time - and when she turned up at my neighbour's house - it was clear that she wasn't...

Something similar happened to my coworker. She asked for the lady to identify herself if she works for an organisation and when she refused my friend asked of her if she doesn't mind to show her ID to her husband who "works at the police station". This sorted out the situation as the scammer quickly left the premise.