Feral giant rabbit seen on Friern Road

Bryan Cocksedge

I don't know if any of you have seen it but a giant rabbit is on the loose in the Friern Road area. It's a mottled brown colour and I have been told it chased an old lady at the Underhill Road junction. It looks like it is very well fed so it's a possibility it's been digging up and eating plants in residents front gardens.

This is brilliant.

We must hunt the monster Leporidus to its lair! Who's with me?

Footnote - Torches and pitchforks for interested villagers will be issued at the gathering point. Please take care when wildly waving your pitchfork or torch. Not suitable for children under 8.

I have found some droppings which I'm going to take to the Natural History Museum for analysis (would the Horniman have the expertise?) but my assumption is an owner has got fed up with it and just left it on the streets to let it fend for itself. I would be very surprised if a wild rabbit population could survive in East Dulwich although I do know for a fact that there are hedgehogs in Sydenham Hill woods. It may be a laughing matter for some but I heard the old lady who was chased was quite startled.

Dear Bryan, while I would not want any old lady to be startled or upset, please tell me you can see that there is a funny side to this?

I hope the Natural History Museum can help you with your scat. If not, perhaps Battersea Park Zoo might be a useful point of call?

Dear Bryan,

I was startled to see the photo of the giant rabbit in the link you provided.

I'm not sure if the Horniman would be able to help, but as Moos suggests the Battersea Park Zoo should be able to help. Perhaps also give the Battersea Dogs Home a bell to see if anyone has reported losing a giant rabbit or if they would know what to do in this situation.

Good luck.

-C

Dulwich and Peckham were favourite haunts for Spring Heeled Jack in the mid nineteenth century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Heeled_Jack

I have always been of the view that it was not a sceptre that lurked round these parts in early Victorian Times but a giant wild rabbit. Lots of people reported that Spring Heeled Jack had the ability to hop great distances and others mentioned his big floppy ears (which the penny dreadfuls at the time sensationlised into devil's horns). Could it be possible that a remnant giant rabbit population survives in Sydenham Hill / Dulwich woods and we are witnessing the return of the Spring Heeled Jack / giant rabbit phenomena? The sceptic in me inclines to the view that somewhere in East Dulwich there is an empty hutch but my romantic side thinks that just maybe deep in Dulwich wood there lies hidden an oversized rabbit hole from which a legend has arisen once more.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A metre long rabbit? Chasing an old lady?

>

> Whatever you've been smoking, can I have some too?

It's the "chasing" that bothers me. How long does it take to chase an old lady?