Bus attack

Nero

A 363 bus was apparently set on fire by a group of yoot/yoof (I'm not young enough to use the former) and taken away. Fire engines (two appliances) and the police were in attendance to the incident at abouut 1230 at the Forest Hill Road-Dunstan's Rd junction.

Happened to me once. I was a trainee teacher in a northern town and, in the ordinary way of things, had spent a couple of months on practice bus duty. In the absence of other guidance, I'd assumed my job was to stand outside the school at looting time, making sure kids got on buses and went away. When they'd all gone, I'd give the word and the rest of the staff could scuttle to the car park and leg it.

One afternoon, I'd given the word and settled down for an hour's practice detention. About fifteen minutes in - it can't have been more than that as I'd only scrubbed half a desk - I was summoned to the front gates to look at a burning bus and a clump of kids and to work out what to do about them.

On the downside, even after he'd put the fire out, the bus driver wasn't very chatty, and his friends on the recovery truck didn't say nice things. And I had to persuade my practice colleagues to forgo the cheap whisky and ferry kids around instead. They didn't say nice things either. But on the upside, the bus company refused to run the bus for the rest of the term, which both annoyed the council and improved our truancy rates.

I don't reckon anyone thought of summoning police or fire brigade. We saw enough of the police as it was, the fire was out, and the chances of nailing down an identifiable suspect was nil; in those days, buses didn't film the passengers all the time. I don't think we even put it in the incident book - nobody was hospitalized, and that was, as a rule of thumb, what you had to do to get in it.

So, all else being equal, I'm with jimmy two times.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Quorn = Famous and historic Fox Hunt. A few of the

> roads have similar links.

>

> Bus burning, not clever really. Its a crime, come

> on.

Indeed. I wonder if certain folk would be shrugging their shoulders if it were their personal property up in flames.

For the avoidance of doubt I'm with them as well. My "hands up" comment should perhaps have been concluded with "none - thought so" as I hadn't seen at that point anyone not treating it as anything but serious apart from Jimmy 2X who I though was asking for opinion rather than just straight reporting of facts.

Whilst it's true that there is a Belvoir Hunt I think the Belvoir connection is coincidental.

Quorn Road is part of the Dog Kennel Hill (or East Dulwich) Estate. All of the roads therein and most (if not all) of the blocks that form the estate make reference to hunts because, as far as I understand, it's called Dog Kennel Hill because it used to be the site of dog kennels that housed hounds used for hunting.

Names apart from Quorn include: Albrighton, Whaddon, Riseholme etc

The blocks don't appear on A-Z's but you can see them here: OpenStreetMap

Slightly off the original topic so to get back on: nunheadbelle please don't spout such b****cks before the new school has even opened.

dc Wrote:

> Whilst it's true that there is a Belvoir Hunt I

> think the Belvoir connection is coincidental.

>

> Quorn Road is part of the Dog Kennel Hill (or East

> Dulwich) Estate. All of the roads therein and most

> (if not all) of the blocks that form the estate

> make reference to hunts because, as far as I

> understand, it's called Dog Kennel Hill because it

> used to be the site of dog kennels that housed

> hounds used for hunting.

Apologies in advance for the off topicness, but that's fascinating - thanks. Didn't realise there was an actual connection. Belvoir (as in Belvoir Road) may be a ref to the original meaning "beautiful view"?

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Close but no cigar. They are called Korn and yes

> that are a crap American metal band.

They're not that bad if you're in to that kind of thing. I got dragged to see them by a metal head friend, and was actually quite impressed. Bit heavy for me, but awesome drummer!