Lady on LL with accordion

Louisa

A lovely lady was playing her accordion today outside the Palmerston on the corner of north cross and lordship, think she may still be there? How lovely in this summer weather to have such relaxing music to accompany my walk to Londis! I was very impressed. Could have been mistaken for believing I was in the south of France not Dulwich! If you've not heard her, pop down before she goes.

Louisa.

Yes she does move up and down L.L.

Gave a small donation of 50p and recieved a broad smile and an extra flourish on the keys..

At least she does not just sit on the pavement doing nothing..

.. and indeed brings a little joy to a an otherwise dull L.L.

Like a bit of French Accordian..

Foxy.

I saw this poor lady being shunted along and almost forced to get on a bus away from the area by one of the "beggars" , from what I could see he was telling her she would be arrested if she stayed . A shame really as I heard her play and it was very nice to hear.

Not sure how to put this but ... when I saw her yesterday I thought ,oh no ,another person trying to get money on the street . A shameful and uncomfortable reminder of the state the world is in .

I hate the thought ( but quite understand it ) that there are categories of beggars ,some seeming more attractive ( like this lady ) than others ( who maybe just sit on the pavement ).

I would never categorise a busker as a beggar, this lady in particular is offering something that cheers our walk down Lordship Lane. Buskers do not ask for money without offering anything in return and show enterprise. Am having a bit of a Joni Mitchell moment.

I hadn't really thought of it like that ,you have a point .

But is it really just a simple question of offering something in exchange for cash ? I'm still tending towards thinking that it's a situation where someone is having to ask for money and that they'd rather not ,that they'd rather have regular employment or a pension .

Though I guess there's a whole continuum ....those people who offer packets of tissue on trains ,the car wash people at Sainsbury's.

"At break of day when that man drove away I was waiting

I crossed the street to her house and she opened the door

She stood there laughing

I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more"

More than just politically incorrect

nxjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "At break of day when that man drove away I was

> waiting

> I crossed the street to her house and she opened

> the door

> She stood there laughing

> I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no

> more"

>

> More than just politically incorrect

I know - :)

WRU actually looked at whether it was appropriate

as a Welsh Rugby song but seemed to say as it had

some history was Okay.

kibris Wrote:

> She is a begger with an accordion

She's also a lovely person, friendly, who puts a smile on faces by using her musical talent to entertain people. Funny how different people have different ways of looking at things.

Louisa.

kibris Wrote:

> She is a begger with an accordion

This lovely lady bring love and light to the lane, she is always very smiley and she plays the accordion well.

I saw the other beggars having a ciggy break on Matham grove, then taking turns to go and beg outside the COOP. I know who I would gladly give some money too.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> But is it really just a simple question of

> offering something in exchange for cash ? I'm

> still tending towards thinking that it's a

> situation where someone is having to ask for money

> and that they'd rather not ,that they'd rather

> have regular employment or a pension .

The buskers I've been lucky enough to get to know in Paris and Barcelona (some of them top-notch musicians who could have made a good living in second string symphony orchestras) were busking precisely because they wanted to avoid regular employment and a pension! Life is not one size fits all...