Dulwich Leisure Centre gym closed

Answered my own question by going along for a swim.

What they didn't tell me over the phone is that you have to register online in advance for the free swimming, but the receptionist kindly let me in anyway, which was nice of her.

In case anyone else, like me, had been put off by the various issues under the old management, my impression is that overall the standard is much better. The water is clean and has the texture of water (before it was soupy, slightly viscous and with too many visible bits floating in it) and the smell of chlorine was less noticeable (I used to be able to smell it on my skin even after showering), though they told me the filter system is the same as before, so perhaps just my imagination.

The d?cor is generally brighter and cleaner-looking. In particular, it looks as though the women's changing room walls were retiled, which makes a big difference. Its floor, while not as dirty as in the bad old days, still looked in need of a good clean and it was hard to put your foot down anywhere without it picking up dirt or hair, though to be fair it was the end of the day so perhaps the cleaner was just waiting for everyone to leave. The showers all had doors (in the past there always seemed to be some missing) though the temperature control on the two I used didn't seem to be properly attached.

Still got the annoying couple who insist on swimming side by side in the slow lane, though.

Anyway, a big improvement and worth a visit, particularly all day Fri and after 2pm on Sat and Sun when it's FREE.

I've found a huge improvement in the cleanliness and maintenance of the pool and changing rooms since Fusion left.

As a resident of Forest hill I am crossing my fingers that Fusion lose management of Lewisham pools too, as despite being only a couple of years old FHP is already run-down and filthy.

The pool water feels slimy and soapy and is always cloudy.Temprature of the pool and showers is unreliable.

The toilets stink, the changing cubicles are filthy and smell of pee...etc etc.

Needless to say I pay to go to the DLC

Cardio machines are far too close together, if they took just one out in each row it wouldn't be as oppressive

Leg press is facing the wall? What happens to your other leg during single leg presses? That must be a mistake

Rack right next to Smith ...that's dangerous, someone's gonna whack their head on the smith bar when changing plates. Also can't check form in mirror because of positioning of Dumbbells and bench.

That said the equipment looks good, great to have a much bigger free weights section, some great new machines and it should be great when all bits are open

Henry_17 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Curmudgeon,

> Have they at least turned the damm rack round to

> face the right way?

>

> Also, it sounds like they haven't added another

> rack? Which was sorely needed.

No there's 2 racks ...which is excellent..and there's some decent benches too ...and the racks are facing the mirror

There's a squat rack and a multi functional rack (dont know what it's called but it's in the middle and seems to be for squat, deadlift, pull up etc) that's the one with the mirror obstructed view TBH ..it's also next to the Smith but far too close

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please explain the pricing to me (as a resident)?

I may be missing something but the price list on their website was a bit confusing. Do you have to pay for an Leisure Axcess pass and then each time you use the gym or take a class?

Thanks in advance.