Local planning policy query

Hi,

Does anyone know if Southwark has a clear policy on creating new vehicle crossovers ie permitting new dropped kerbs on roads to allow gardens to be turned into drives? A house at end of my street is applying and, if allowed, this would result in loss of at least one parking place on an already busy street.

I know some councils have adopted a 'no new dropped curbs' policy. Has Southwark?

The problem is that the space on the road can be used by anyone on the street but the space in the front garden can only be used by the owners of the house. So if you live on a street with more cars than spaces this is restricting your ability to park even further. Not to mention the problems that occur when everyone decides to concrete over their gardens thus removing drainage for rain water.

Southwark still allows people to apply for dropped kerbs. If on A roads then the council if it grants permission will insist on lots of double yellow lines around the new dropped kerb. AS councillors in Dulwich were challenging this the decision has been removed from local councillors and now resides with the council leader.

For non A roads no double yellow lines are required - a tiny local victory for common sense.

For fuller details - http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/473/guide_to_parking/3069/dropped_kerbs_and_driveways

Fjgb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The problem is that the space on the road can be

> used by anyone on the street but the space in the

> front garden can only be used by the owners of the

> house. So if you live on a street with more cars

> than spaces this is restricting your ability to

> park even further. Not to mention the problems

> that occur when everyone decides to concrete over

> their gardens thus removing drainage for rain

> water.

Well said. It is getting more and more difficult to park in many local roads. I agree with all the points add by Fjgb. Added to these points, I have noticed that a lot of people parking in what used to be their front garden have vehicles which are longer than the garden and which jut out onto the pavement.

James - you mention

"For non A roads no double yellow lines are required - a tiny local victory for common sense. "

Is this a new decision or does that now mean that Barry Road doesn't require yellow lines?

Last I heard it did because a neighbour has planning to have a dropped kerb but has to wait on the decision for yellow lines.

I am very disappointed to learn that Southwark continues to permit new dropped kerbs as a matter of course. They add to local parking problems, screw up drainage (unless planning controls on how the garden conversion can take place are imposed) and add to neigbourhood tensions as drivers park across them.

Ah well. Good to know.

Unfortunately Southwark doesn't provide many (if any) electric charge points on residential roads. As electric cars become more affordable and people have the space in the front garden they will may electric cars and will need to set up OSP with private charge points.