Sainsburys home delivery

Fuschia

Does anyone else have problems with this?

When it came via Sydenham there were endless problems of late deliveries, missing items, damaged items, short life... now they've moved to Dulwich it's no better so I am now going to try Tescos... I did call Sainsburys to tell them why I'm leaving. Just had enough of consistently poor service, week after week... yet they have increased their delivery fees!

We gave up on Sainsbury's for just the reasons you cite some years ago, happily when Ocado finally reached East Dulwich. It is a rare delivery indeed from Ocado when any item is not delivered.

I thought though that Sainbury's home delivery base was somewhere in the Midlands, or at any rate outside London, and had no connections with local branches? You never see the home delivery vans parked around DKH do you?

Sainsbury's delivery service is fecking shite!

We've tried it 4 times, and only one delivery was correct. The final straw was when we were having my parents and sister round for a special dinner (already stressful enough), and they totally messed up the order. To be fair they put it right in the end, but that's not really the point, and it took several phone calls from me, and it was only sorted because I happened to be home that afternoon.

Another major issue is the amount of bags they use! We've had big orders come, and about 2 or 3 items per bag, it's ludicrous! Apparently Tesco do a bagless delivery where they will bring it in to your house in crates and unload it for you. Going to try them or Ocado next time.

I use Ocado too: tried Sainsburys - adequate, Tesco - food out of date, Ocado brill (apart from the cost of delivery; so I signed up for a year of free deliveries). Good food (if a bit pricey) with plenty of life left, very rarely a missing item, helpful delivery people and these days always on time (I sometimes used to get a ver polite call asking if they could drop off a little early).

We've just given up on Sainsburys, as they messed up more orders than they got right, and more than once we were hanging around until midnight waiting for a late order that just got later and later, and then never arrived. We generally used them for household items and store-cupboard stuff, but on those rushed days when we also got our veggies from them, they had clearly taken care to choose the oldest and most manky which no sane bricks-and-mortar shopper would pick up. Poor show.

We've switched to Ocado (very against the prevailing climate!) and so far they've provided a faultless service but have had to take a lot more care over our orders to avoid a huge increase in our bill. They don't do as much own-brand stuff as Sainsbury's, so are inevitably more expensive. It's good that they recycle the bags (Sains does too) but I don't understand why they can't offer crate-only delivery as Tesco does. I've emailed them to push it, suggest other customers do too! I think the cost of delivery is reasonable if you save up and only order so often so you can send in a big bill.

I've had absolute nightmares with Tesco, including two times when they didn't turn up at all and, when I called the next morning, admitted that they had scheduled too many deliveries in my slot so didn't get round to me but would be happy to offer me another delivery slot in 3-4 days' time. Second time it happened (with my Christmas turkey and everything - rescheduled delivery offered for anytime after 26 December), I decided never to use them again.

I use Ocado now - if you're careful and look for bargains, they're not too expensive and are really pushing to match Tesco prices.

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but it has made me want to say the drivers in my experience have always been really nice, and embarassed about the mistakes. Don't shoot the messenger, they're just delivering a van load of stuff, they didn't load the bags in the van.

I have to agree the van drivers have always been great whichever company we used.

Interestingly our Ocado man told us a couple of deliveries back how notorious ED was for having stuff nicked from the van whilst he was doing deliveries! Even the local toerag thieves are foodies! >:D<

My housemate delivers for Sainsburys...he'll be ever so upset that your all angry with him

I was just about to type something that (as I scrolled down) was pretty much identical to what Keef put.

I once heard the Sainsbury's van turn up (about an hour late) and was waiting in the doorway with my arms folded by the time the guy rolled up with the trolley loaded. He looked at me and before I spoke a word said apologetically 'I can tell you're not happy' - I had to very quickly unfold my arms and readjust my attitude! Poor bastard. It was about 10pm, and he'd probably had a faceful from customer after customer. He was nice as pie, it's not the drivers' fault if the loaders are late, or the delivery slots are overbooked.

SimonM Wrote:> I thought though that Sainbury's home delivery

> base was somewhere in the Midlands, or at any rate

> outside London, and had no connections with local

> branches? You never see the home delivery vans

> parked around DKH do you?

No it used to be Sydenham, is now DKH, or at least that's what Sainsburys say!

Have switched most lof my order to abel and cole and will try getting the other stuff from Tescos. It works out the same p/w as Sainsburys ( though overall fewer convenience foods, more organic, more need to cook) and the Tescos vouchers are more useful (? for ?1 on attractions)

If that's no good, I'll try Ocado, which i hear good things about, but couldn't find on their site a few things I do get from supermarkets...

Leaving for Exeter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

. ...Bit

> like getting an extra chocolate bar in the tube

> vending machine or a solid choc kitkat

Why do we all (self included) get so excited about that?! OOh! Solid chocolate! Just like all the bars of solid chocolate I chose not to buy as I wanted a Kit Kat....

Ocado all the way. I was a bit dubious at first but you get what you ask for and it's all in date with a few days to go, none of that "use all your shopping by.......... tomorrow" action. And they're on time, even ringing if they're running a bit early to see if we'd like an earlier delivery. Recommended.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We had a bit of a do at work and, amongst other

> things, ordered 6 x 75ml bottles of Shiraz-Cab

> from Tescos.

>

> Order duly arrived. Clearly they were out of stock

> of 75ml bottles Shiraz-Cab. So they gave us 6 x

> 25ml bottles of Shiraz-Cab.

>

>

Sainsburys replaced 4 small packets of a particular type of crisp with... 4 multipacks each containing 6 packets of the same crisp...

Used to use Sainsbuys a few years ago but changed to tesco as they were rubbish - sounds like they haven't improved. That was before they delivered from Sydenham.

tescos used to use Surrey Quays but now have a big depot out Croydon way. They are pretty good most of the time. You can have bagless or bagged delivery - they will often put ONE item in a bag rather than filling them up.

I am suprised that a number of items are not available for delivery - I guess in a depot they cannot have EVERYTHING and that is annoying. their substitutions are usually OK.

I did look at Ocado a couple of years ago but was put off by the price. I will have another look

I have to admit I've not tried Sainsbury's or Tesco home delivery, but I do use Ocado and would definately recommend, great service, and they price match Tescos on some branded goods too now, so not as expensive as they were. And the quality beats the others hands down.

I managed to accidentally book a delivery for a morning slot rather than evening once and they were nice as pie about it too - I was expecting to get charged extra for a re-delivery, or at least get a telling off, but just called to arrange when to re-deliver and put a polite card through the door telling me not to worry they would come back later.

Fuschia Wrote:

> Sainsburys replaced 4 small packets of a

> particular type of crisp with... 4 multipacks each

> containing 6 packets of the same crisp...

oh I can beat that. Tesco order one summer where I'd ordered a crusty loaf and some houmous to munch in the sunshine.

Delivery showed up - I had a white sliced loaf and a packet of four-cheese tortellini?! Not a picnic to remember!

I use Ocado too. If they're late, they'll give you money off your order; same if they forget something. Guy the other week called me and asked if I was in since he was in the area and wondered if I'd like the order 2 hours early.

I use them for big orders every 6 weeks or so to top up the store cupboard and then shop for small bagloads the rest of the time. Works well - usually by the time I'm ready to do an order, they'll send me a coupon for ?5 or ?10 off my next order. And they're quite good with personalised offers so they'll give you money off something you buy regularly. They're pricematching Tesco on most of the brands now too so, add in the lack of tempting distractions in store, and it works out about the same price.

Can't really say I've experienced many probs with Sainsbury's delivery service (much better than visiting the shop at times IMHO)I never order fresh or frozen food just manly the heavy bits and bobs (it's just plain lazy otherwise ;-) )... they arrive when they say they will and even take time to go through your order to make sure it's all there. Yes I know it's hard to believe!

I got totally disheartened with Sainsbury's home delivery - I found it hard to get a delivery slot that suited me unless I was organised enough to order about a week before I needed it, and got totally sick of deliveries turning up late/not at all/with half my stuff missing. Their best substitution was trout fillets instead of the chicken roast I'd ordered. Someone in the warehouse must have seen the logic in that?

I now use Ocado primarily, and Tesco for my large "stock up" shops. Both good, but Ocado definitely stands out in terms of customer service.