PCN Dog Kennel Hill Refund

Tom McCrae

This is a good morning.

Postman came and posted a letter from Southwark council canceling my PCN for crossing the white line at the top of Dog Kennel Hill.

Saying, The Council has only recently started enforcement on Dog Kennel Hill bus lane and it is our policy to issue warning notices for the first two weeks after they start enforcement.

In this case due to human error the wrong letter was queued and you were issued with a PCN and not a warning notice.

If you have already paid for the traffic penalty a full refund will be issued..

So if you have had a PCN for Dog Kennel Hill in the past 2 weeks Make sure you get your money returned too

Now we're having bets in doors on how long it takes to get it back..,

Having received a PCN for the bus lane (which was rescinded) I would like to lobby to allow motorbikes into that bus lane on Dog Kennel Hill .

I have included my letter to Southwark below and wondered if there was anybody who felt the same.

Dear Southwark Council

I recently wrote to you to appeal a Bus Lane PCN on grounds of mitigating circumstances. Details below.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Southwark parking

I am writing to appeal my bus lane penalty under mitigating circumstances.

I have a 14-year-old 50cc scooter and can barely get up to 20 mph while traveling up Dog Kennel Hill.

When travelling up the hill in the car lane, cars pass dangerously close to me.

Or I can block the traffic and have cars clambering to get passed (sometimes honking to get passed)

As you can see by your photo I have gained no advantage by moving out of the car lane and have only done so because of the above reasons.

I have over 40 years riding experience and hoped to have made a judgement on safety and not to try to use the bus lane unlawfully.

I hope that on this occasion you will be able to weaver this PNC

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Well I am now writing to you to ask if you would consider including Motorcycles in the bus lane users on grounds of safety.

Without having the ability to seek respite in the bus lane I will be left on this road, which is dangerous to small lightweight motorcycles.

There is a unique situation on the hill, which not only has an extreme gradient but a walled flowerbed that stops cars from moving over to overtake and means that they are forced to squeeze past. (Which they often do)

The road is dangerous especially, maintaining stability without cars rushing past and potentially unbalancing you.

The council must accept responsibility for this dangerous situation.

By allowing motorbikes into the bus lane you will solve this potentially fatal situation without making any difference to the flow of traffic in the bus lane.

Yours Hopefully

• 1 month later...
Hi wondering if anyone has received another PCN as we had one for 30th Sept and prior to this we had 2 one of which said it was cancelled another one exactly the same was later posted. We called Southwark who told us to email them and get it rescinded. We heard no more and today got a PCN for ?130. Does anyone know if we could challenge this, would the notification period have included 30th September?

Why would you expect to get the PCN rescinded if you drove in the bus lane? The bus lane has been in place for years, and it has always been an offence to drive in it during the hours specified - I really don't understand why the installation of a new camera should make a difference?

Above posts suggest legalities around not notifying public before issuing as well as other reasons in other similar posts as to why someone entered into the bus lanes possibly at the end going to Sainsbury's for example. Yes you are correct by saying that if you go into a bus lane during times not permitted you would not expect a PCN to be rescinded but that neglects to look at other possible mitigating circumstances that may or may not be accepted by the issuer or Tribunal, nor does it account for the fact that as other posters have evidenced that they did receive refunds during the time when notification was not given as this is what is expected of Southwark. I just want to find out when the notice period was. With bus lanes operated by TFL they have clear times of use or non use and when entering a bus lane you would expect to get a fine if using it within restricted times, almost immediately the next day. These PCNs were issued later but dated September which also poses the question of whether there are system errors.

I wasn't aware that the public needed to be notified before a PCN can be issued. Surely the fact that there has been a bus lane in place for several years with clear signage about the operating hours is sufficient notice? and I;m sure bus lanes are also covered in the Highway Code. I'm amazed if people haven't been issued with tickets before now. I think anyone who has managed to get a refund for their PCN has been incredibly lucky - if I drove in a bus lane, I would expect to get a PCN, regardless of how recently a camera may have been installed.