New fixed bus lane camera, Dog Kennel Hill

kford

There is indeed a new camera, a small, silver device on a lamppost on the Sainsbury's 'up' side of the hill, about 60m from the lights at the top.

It's clearly designed to catch motorists cutting the top section of the bus lane in order to turn left.

Probably best to stay to the right, especially motorbikes.

HOWEVER: if you do get a ticket, remember that the camera operator should observe the offence for at least 20 metres, or five car lengths, for it to be valid.

Thanks for the info - worth remembering though that the 20M "rule" is only a guideline and doesn't automatically guarantee that the charge will be rescinded - otherwise everyone could use the last 19M of the bus lane with impunity! If a car dives in for just five metres and impedes a bus, for example, it's very unlikely that the ticket would be waived on the grounds of distance. Oh and make sure if you're forced to use the bus lane that you make a note of date and time: when I was working for a while as a motorcycle courier I was caught by a bus mounted camera on City Road - I was pretty sure that I would only have gone into the bus lane to avoid an accident or to let an emergency vehicle through, but as I was up and down that road dozens of times a week I couldn't provide evidence of that and so just had to pay up.

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There isn't a camera there, as far as I can see

> (and this is where the problem is!)

Bus Lane Cameras are NOT big Yellow boxes. They can be very small and inconspicuous..

http://www.expressandstar.com/wpmvc/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/walsall-bus-lane-camrea.jpg

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> kford Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There isn't a camera there, as far as I can see

> > (and this is where the problem is!)

>

> Bus Lane Cameras are NOT big Yellow boxes. They

> can be very small and inconspicuous..

>

>

> http://www.expressandstar.com/wpmvc/wp/wp-content/

> uploads/2015/10/walsall-bus-lane-camrea.jpg

>

> DulwichFox

I meant, the lower part of the bus lane is where the problem is, where most cars cut in to turn left into Sainsbury's (and where two-wheelers are most likely to be cut up).

I know bus lane cameras are usually small CCTV units on posts, often doubling up as traffic monitoring cameras. There was one outside Denmark Hill station, but it's been taken down.

• 4 weeks later...

natty01295 Wrote:

> PHOTO - That's not dog kennel hill

The poster didn't mean it was GKH - rather an example of a semi-hidden camera.

Anyway, agree with Passiflora. It's really not hard to do your left at the very top opposite the school.

The threads about this bus lane and the camera have really baffled me. Why should it make a difference as to whether you drive in the bus lane if there is a new camera? If people want to turn into Sainsburys, the road markings make it very clear where the bus lane ends. I don't understand why people complained in the other thread that they had received penalty charge notices for using the bus lane - it has been in place for many years - surely motorists know that they are not allowed to drive in bus lanes during the hours of operation and are liable to a penalty charge if they choose to do so?

I think the problem is that if it is busy and there are buses in the bus lane and you are in the right hand lane (where you should be) wanting to turn left into Sainsbury's, you hold up the traffic behind you as you wait for the buses to go past, with the resulting frustration from those behind as the lights go red again.

I totally agree with Treehugger.

There is also no reason why this has to be a permanent bus lane. Most bus lanes in London operate in peak hours, with the exception of some around really busy junctions. This could easily be a peak time lane and exempt after 7pm for example.

treehugger Wrote:

> I think the problem is that if it is busy and

> there are buses in the bus lane and you are in the

> right hand lane (where you should be) wanting to

> turn left into Sainsbury's, you hold up the

> traffic behind you as you wait for the buses to go

> past, with the resulting frustration from those

> behind as the lights go red again.

treehugger Wrote:

> I think the problem is that if it is busy and

> there are buses in the bus lane and you are in the

> right hand lane (where you should be) wanting to

> turn left into Sainsbury's, you hold up the

> traffic behind you as you wait for the buses to go

> past, with the resulting frustration from those

> behind as the lights go red again.

Yep - they'll beep but so be it and I'll ignore :)

Thanks to the lovely person behind me when I was trying to get as quickly as possible into the left lane to turn into Sainsburys, you've got a nice loud Hooter, hope you feel better now! Don't expect people to get a ticket so you can knock 2 minutes off your journey! Rant over!!

• 3 months later...

Don't know if anyone can advise tonight about the bus lane on the other side of the road, about 50 yards further up the hill?

Was parked in a side road. Turned left into DKH. Didn't immediately get out of the bus lane, albeit no more than a few car lengths, and in the correct Lane well before the lights. There is a camera sign, but does anyone know where the camera is along there?

Thanks