Problem Neighbour

Hi there

I wondered if I can get some advise with a problem neighbour. Over the last several years I have suffered from constant noise from my neighbour and water damage to my home (4 times).

I have approached them a few times, have written letters with my concerns about mainly the noise, and have had no joy, I have been told they pay their mortgage and can make as much noise as they like, btw the response is mainly from the older lady who is at least late 80's. It's gotten to a stage where I just try to ignore the noise now, which is ridiculous. However water damage to my home is unacceptable, each time my home have been damaged was by pure negligence, i.e. leaving the sink (not bath!!) running whilst on the phone. The latest incident was this week, I returned home from work to find a puddle of water in my kitchen, water was running down my walls from their bathroom during the day, the water had stopped running by the time I got home, so I knocked my neighbour door to ask what had happened, her response was "move from her door" she then slammed the door in my face!

My concerns are what happens in the future if I have any other issue with damage to my property, as clearly they are not taking responsibility, and it now it seems I cant even have a conversation with these people, if they are now slamming doors in my face.

Any advise is welcome?

Thanks

Hartwell sorry to here about the pr...ks next door to you .I suggest you make a diary of each incident including times dates and noise is it loud music .or banging shouting ,how long it goes on for .also any photo,s or video evidence.inform Southwark council they should have a nuisance neighbours phone number .they can formally warn the pr...ks of future behaviour.if the noise is very loud music the council will send a member of there nuisance neighbours team who should be on call 24 hours a day .they can confiscate music equipment after warnings.why not give your local councillor a call or email or write a letter if it's affecting your health and mental state there are people who can help you good luck.

Shelter has some information about neighbour disputes, steps to take and accessing mediation services etc. You could also talk to someone on their advice line or via email.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/neighbourhood_issues

Having had similar problems in the past (though we were both letting through the same landlord which helped a lot) I wish you strength and all the best in reaching a good outcome.

If you are all in ownership of your properties, have a look at the joint tenancy agreement that would have been provided with the sale of your property and it will outline a set of "rules" as such that each tenant (mortgage or not) MUST adhere to. This includes some random stuff like "no shaking carpets outside", but also crucially includes a clause that talks about un-necessary damage caused and what needs to happen if that happens.

Because it has happened on several occasions, the "tenant" upstairs is effectively in breach of this contract and therefore by law you can start proceedings on them for undue stress and cost of repairs.

Perhaps however this might be best explained over a cup of tea of your grievances - if you (and they) could manage! Good luck!

As described by the OP it is possible that the problem may be age related - (one neighbour is in her 'late eighties') - forgetfulness leading to flooding, irascibility - all of these can be symptomatic of fairly common age related degeneration - in which case 'talking things through' is not really going to be an option. [Even loud noises, I assume music although this isn't stated, could be a function of poor hearing and sounds turned up so they can be heard].

If I am right - I hope I'm not - then there are real dangers associated with the possibility that, rather than a sink overflowing, a hot plate may be left on and burning.

Are there younger people (i.e. younger family members) that can be contacted? It is possible that this is not really a case of a Problem Neighbour, but of a neighbour with very real problems.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Do you own your property? If so please contact your managing agent. They should be able to speak to your neighbour as she will need to rectify her leak issues and also approach the noise issues.

The water damage to your property you can make a claim on the building insurance, but ideally you want to make sure other leaks do not happen.

If you rent your property inform your landlord or the council, they should take your issues seriously and will deal directly with your neighbour to hopefully resolve the issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Building and contents insurance?

Chase PN for insurance excess. If happens regularly then no longer accidental. Insurers may chase neighbour for costs of restitution.

I have paranoid schizophrenic below me called A. She's not much of a problem to me. Just hear A arguing with herself, banging on the ceiling for ghosts of dead rellies to leave her alone, etc., etc. Else she's actually fine, and have a lot of time for her.

R is in flat directly below A,and has been flooded by A (currently) 13 (lucky number) times. On one occasion R had to leave his flat for over a year. R has depression, is an alcoholic and has emphysema.

I live below J. He's flooded me just once in 12 years. He's like an elephant most of the day, but at night he does try to be quiet.

I count myself lucky.