where can i take large tree branches

It sounds like cecyfly07 wants to get rid of some branches, not to find some!

If you can get them into a car or van, the Southwark recycling centre just off the Old Kent Road will take them.

Alternatively, see if you can talk to the wardens at your local park (Peckham Rye and Dulwich Park both have park wardens) and ask them if they can take them - most parks have some way of shredding or mulching tree branches.

cecyfly07 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi does anyone know where we can take some large

> tree branches? we are based in se15 ( Peckham)

> thank you!

Good idea Robert Poste's Child

If they are able to be burned in the green like Ash wood then perhaps donate them to Dog kennel Hill adventure playground. They put on a very good bonfire party.

Nigello Wrote:

> If you know anyone with a wood burning stove or

> open fire I'm sure they'd be grateful for

> them.>>>>>

> Burning them in an open fire, inside or out, is

> not legal and is harmful to health, so don't do

> it!

Not sure where you get that idea - bonfires are perfectly legal as indeed is burning wood in outdoor appliances like pizza ovens or chimineas. Smoke control regulations do not apply to wood burned outside, the smoke has to emerge from a building chimmney to come under their auspices. The council can step in and issue an abatement order - for example if someone's having bonfires every day - and you can be fined if, for example, the smoke from your bonfire causes a hazard to traffic, but they're certainly not illegal per se.

Nigello Wrote:

> If you know anyone with a wood burning stove or

> open fire I'm sure they'd be grateful for

> them.>>>>>

> Burning them in an open fire, inside or out, is

> not legal and is harmful to health, so don't do

> it!

Not true Nigello, as has been discussed here before. Burning wood is only illegal in a device with a chimney and otherwise only to the extent that it qualifies as a legal nuisance. I realise you consider any burning to be a personal nuisance, but that is not the same thing.

Wood does not produce the type of smoke referred to re the Clean Air Act 1993. Even green wood doesn't do this.

The first link you posted even states you can burn on an open fire unless causing a nuisance. As I've indicated above, the legal definition of a nuisance is not the same as the colloquial one.

I know you don't like ANY type of smoke, but the law does not agree with you.

What actually defines a nuisance, though? If someone has emphysema or another lung condition which deteriorates after having inhaled smoke from a chimney fire, is that enough?

I think it's basic good manners - in a crowded place like London, especially - to not burn materials that could cause health problems or make them worse when there are other fuels that are readily available.

In short, no, that isn't sufficient. Nuisance is a complex area of the law of tort and not easy to summarise here. As the link you posted shows, you are very unlikely to get the council to interfere on your behalf unless there is a sustained course of conduct.

Whilst I agree that people should show good manners, people also have a right to reasonable enjoyment of their property. I have health problems that are impacted by living in such close proximity to my neighbours in London too, but if I really don't like it and my neighbours are not acting illegally, I really have to either take whatever actions I can to mitigate the effect, or move to somewhere less crowded and polluted.