Photographs prohibited in the library?

ce

So I was in the library today and got told off for taking a photo (yup just one, without flash) in the library. Now considering, as dulwich residents, we sort of co-own the books, and last I heard it wasn't illegal to film public property...anyone got any ideas on why this would be an issue?

Were you taking Photographs of the Library or the content of books.

Books may be subjected to copyright. and restricted.

If taking photos inside the Library where people can be recognised then further restrictions can apply and may be prohibited. Also your photos will be restricted to personal use and cannot be published.

There may also be restrictions due to security. as taking pictures of railway / bus stations and public transport.

I'm an amateur photographer... I was stopped taking pictures in Borough Market .. because I sopped still to take a picture. It's a minefield. Don't think anyone fully understands the law..

DulwichFox

It could be construed, I suppose, as an invasion of privacy for other customers, especially where children are concerned, so maybe there just has to be a blanket ban. Though perhaps someone was just feeling irritable, grumpy and officious.

Usually in public places you have to get permission / complete a release form.

Personally I wouldn't want to be pictured if I were studying in the library....there should be places that you can go without being photographed.

I sometimes take photos of price tags in shops, as a quick way of noting how much stuff is if I want to think about it for another visit. I got an "Oi mate!" From a security guard in Sainsbury's, who told me that no photography is allowed in the store. Ridiculous, and they should put a sign up somewhere if they mean it, but at the end of the day it's their house their rules. I would understand in an art gallery, but not in the supermarket spirits aisle!

Same with the Library. It's their rules, there's no law that says they have to let people take photo's. Even if in the context it's silly for them to object. In practice there's not a lot they can do about it, except ask you to leave (or annoyingly photobomb your shots).

What is the context? People or things?

There are many places where photography is not allowed. Nunhead Cemetary is one such space.

There is a notice inside the gate that clearly says No Unauthorised Filming or Photograhy Allowed.

Some places 'allow' photography with phones and ipods but not Film/Digital Cameras..

It's very complicated.

Foxy.

The pictures on North Cross Road of historic East Dulwich are lovely..

I dont think there will be much historic photos of this day and age.. Things change constantly.

Nothing stands still long enough to say East Dulwich 2016 It would need to be East Dulwich May 2016.. E.D August 2016..

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The pictures on North Cross Road of historic East

> Dulwich are lovely..

>

> I dont think there will be much historic photos

> of this day and age.. Things change constantly.

> Nothing stands still long enough to say East

> Dulwich 2016 It would need to be East Dulwich

> May 2016.. E.D August 2016..

>

> DulwichFox

Really?! I would have thought this age will be one of the first fully historically documented ad nauseam. Even Streetview, let alone on social media.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> There are many places where photography is not

> allowed. Nunhead Cemetary is one such space.

> There is a notice inside the gate that clearly

> says No Unauthorised Filming or Photograhy

> Allowed.

>

That is surely only for professional photographers, and not for people taking the occasional photo on their phones?

People might want to take photos of a relative's grave, for a start.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Were you taking Photographs of the Library or the

> content of books.

>

> Books may be subjected to copyright. and

> restricted.

But if it's for your own study, there isn't a copyright issue. If you want to take a snap of a page or two of a library book, you're perfectly entitled too. Tell the staff to sod off.

Often there are children studying in the library - it is possible that staff may have been warned about people wanting to photograph children and could have extended this to a blanket ban.

As regards copyright - there may be issues where stuff is photographed and then put on to e.g. social media - which is a form of re-publishing. I have recently seen a number of re-published texts from books on my feeds. This would be different from e.g photocopies taken for private study.

I work in a library outside the borough and once we had an incident where a customer complained that another customer was taking photographs of them.

Eventually the customer deleted the photographs from his phone and was removed from the premises after the police were called.

I photograph nunhead Cemetery at least weekly with no challenges from either the 'FONC' or the wardens, including shots I take of inside the tombs (in fact FONC have asked me to share the inside tomb shots with them, which, BTW, I started taking to see how the tombs are constructed because no-one working for the cemetery could tell me).

So, there may be a sign Saying 'no pics', but it may has no actual bearing on reality.

It's important people reading this thread aren't misled into thinking they cannot freely take photos in Nunhead Cemetery. It's a venue for many photographers.

The reason for the the sign at Nunhead Cemetery is so that film-makers/professional photographers apply for permission. There are for example staff implications and health and safety issues when a film crew set up shop in the Cemetery. As KidKruger has found from experience, there is no issue with local residents/ amateur photographers taking pictures in Nunhead or the other cemeteries.

Renata

Blah Blah Wrote:

> I've taken lots of pics in Nunhead Cemetry and

> never been told off.

So have I.. I entered the cemetry from the back gate. But I noticed the sign at the main gate.

There are not many people around to 'Tell you off' as you say.. and no complaints from the residents.

But.. It's against the Bye-Laws..

Foxy