New Shops?

Does anyone know what the row of empty shells at the top of Lordship Lane will be? It's below the new flats that are being built, across from Bombay Bycicle. It looks to me like it may be a Tesco Express or a Sainsbury's local, would be wonderful if it is!

Personally I can't think of anything worse! Support your local traders as much as you can and get Ocado to deliver the rest.

There have been a few threads on here regarding that site with lots of speculation about what it is to be, but no answers as yet. They've built it out quite extensively at the back so I would hazard a guess that it will be a supermarket of some form or another (as it was in a previous life I think).

Hi Damzel, I do support my local traders as much as I can but I think a supermarket in that bit of the lane would do no harm as at the moment it's not a very appealing area with the only 'local' traders to support is the DIY shop and a few non descript and over priced convenicence stores - which incidentally I do support.

Bring on a supermarket to bring the top of the lane in line with the bottom!

thanks

I'll not have Nisha's store described as non-descript! She's a gem. And she will be gone if Tesco's does open. I know this because she has shown me her plans and asks me on a regular basis.

If tesco does open, what will we actually get? An over-refrigerated, over-priced selection of the smae stuff as the convenience stores with teh odd bit of watery beef/chicken thrown in*. Not enough of a "win" for me I'm afraid. And I will have lost one of the nices shopkeepers in Dulwich

Add to that extra traffic generated by lorries to the store. What else? oh yeah, generic blue-and-white-o-vision store frontage. I would honestly honestly rather have 5 more vase-and-cushion-shops than a Teco there

*ok some things will be cheaper, but on balance?

Damzel "Personally I can't think of anything worse! Support your local traders as much as you can and get Ocado to deliver the rest."

Chance would be a fine thing. Ocado is very expensive, and so are many of the local traders unfortunately. I don't particularly 'like' supermarkets but they tend to be more reasonably priced than small shops, and they are open much of the time. I love the local shops in ED but cannot afford to spend much money in them.

Hi Jill, yes I take your point about the convenient stores being a bit more expensive but you might be surprised these days at Ocado. They certainly were more expensive at the beginning but now they compare very favourably with Tescos. I don't think our monthly shop is any more expensive than if we went to Sainsburys.

And I guess I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about the convenience stores charging a little more. I don't mind paying it if I can avoid a queue. I hate queues! And I like that the people in the shops recognise me and say a friendly hello.

The other problem I have with having a supermarket there is that parking will probably become difficult down my street.

Lizziedjango Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Damzel "Personally I can't think of anything

> worse! Support your local traders as much as you

> can and get Ocado to deliver the rest."

>

> Chance would be a fine thing. Ocado is very

> expensive, and so are many of the local traders

> unfortunately. I don't particularly 'like'

> supermarkets but they tend to be more reasonably

> priced than small shops, and they are open much of

> the time. I love the local shops in ED but cannot

> afford to spend much money in them.

There is a reason it's more expensive* - you get what you pay for...

*obviously it's a bit more complicated than this :)

I cannot believe there would be a third Tesco "convenience"(!!) store within walking distance of where I live: or a small Sainsbury's so close to the Forest Hill one....In any case hasn't the work on the ground floor of these building works been ground to a halt for a while?

I have found many of the items in Nisha's shop more reasonable than Sainsbury's. I pay ?1.20 for a sliced bloomer, which is far nicer than sainsbury's. Her Polish food is usually cheaper than Sainsburys and you get the personal conversation as well, asking about family member's health and commenting when she does not see them.

I heard it was going to be the biggest FOXTONS in all of Christendom.

It's part of their plan to revive the market by colonising all available space in London, until there is none left, and then selling it back to the Public, piece by piece, at ex(h)orbitant prices, while lending us the money to do so.

I wish I'd thought of it first.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> KFC or McDonalds or Burgerking

>

> My reasoning for this is ...

>

> OH MY GOD SEAN HAS GONE PURPLE!!! BREATHE MAN

> BREATHE !!!!!!!!!!

Would be nice to have some fast food available after 11pm after a few jars at The Plough! :)-D