Mr Liu's chinese restaurant

edanna

Hi,

I took my partner to Mr Lui's for our first date. It was exceptional. Over the years it has gone down though. The time before last I had a meal dropped down the back of my blazer, the restaurant went quiet, the poor girl was mortified. Three months ago we went again and asked for food warmers to keep the dishes hot at the table, but were told that they no longer serve them. Given that we had purchased a banquet, and it would take more than a few minutes to eat, I was disapointed as I do not like to eat cold food.

I think it has changed hands as we always had fantastic meals and service.

Still, I suppose upon reflection the first meal was good, and thats what mattered.

Regards,

Libra Carr

Opposite the police station, end of Melbourne Grove.

We have had very tasty duck & pancakes from there and would definitely have it again. Although I have heard rumours that the special ovens used to cook that sort of duck are going to be banned so may not be able to...

I've eaten loads from Mr Liu's and apart from a spell early last year it has always been good.

towards the end of last year and the start of this year we always got takeaway from there on a sunday night. Their duck is amazing and the chicken fried noodles another favourite. I've also sat in there but not for a few years but that was good also. They also had the heaters on the table then.

Probably worth a try I would recommend it.

We ate there 2 weekends ago. Standard Chinese and very enjoyable. Duck wrapped in those pancake things, a stained shirt from a freak, rice wine/chops sticks related accident, that sort of thing. I seem to remember it being quite reasonably priced. Fantastically naff d?cor too. Like Mr Miyagi?s house in The Karate Kid.

Edit: Because I can?t fucking spell ok! Just deal with it!

I love chinese food and eat loads of it, fairly new to ED and only had one takeaway from mr. Liu's so the jury is still out but I thought the food was much better than your average takeaway. It was a little expensive for the size of the portions but the rice was cooked very well and the dishes tasted pretty good to me, with seemingly fresh ingredients. I am a little surprised it has been slated but as I said i've only had the one takeaway. I would definitely suggest giving it a try unless you prefer quantity over quality.

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It used to be very good - in the days when the

> entire cast of the Bill used to eat there -

I suppose when you spend all day filming in a grey cardboard box just outside Merton then anywhere can seem like The Ivy.

The place was originally owned by two brothers, Peter & (I forget the other ones name, might have been Steve) Lui. The food when they had it was exceptional and I believe one of the brothers still runs the Chinese, Mr Kai's, at Crytal Palace. I've never been disapointed and I agree with Standwithfist, the Duck (really, really crispy) and the chiken noodles are very good. But it has changed hands recently and only time will tell. I've mentioned this before, but this is where Nico Ladenis had his restaurant, after he left it was a burger place and then the Chinese.

I really like Mr Liu. Me and a couple of friends meet there once a week and always order the ribs and prawn toast. Love the belly pork and the seasonal vegetables too. Funny old skool interior & the pan pipes music are always a classic, but the waiting staff are great. Good chinese beer and Jasmine tea, lots of delicious food and fortune cookie at the end too! yummy take away/delivery aswell.

It's pretty good. We used to favour Chopsticks but that seems to have gone downhill recently so switched our allegiance to Mr Liu on the basis of recommendations on this here forum and haven't been disappointed.

And in response to Cassius my vegetarian other half raves about the crispy tofu dish they make there.