Paradiso and other stuff upstairs at EDT

We went to Cinema Paradiso upstairs at EDT last night to see A Mighty Wind. First time at Paradiso for three or four years, and loved both the film and the atmosphere of the event. Upstairs at EDT is a great venue (better than all the previous ones) - good vibe in the bar beforehand, and the room lends itself very well to showing a film. The local film 'short' at the start was quirky but a fun addition to the programme. Yes, the seats are uncomfortable, worth bringing your own cushion, and there's a little bit of noise from LL traffic, but for me Paradiso at EDT is exactly what makes East Dulwich such a fab place to be.

When the short Paradiso season finishes, how about some comedy upstairs at EDT on Tuesday nights? It's about time East Dulwich comedy...or an offshoot...returned to its roots. And anyone interested in Paradiso doing some one-off classic film specials a-la-NFT? They seem open to suggestions.

Peeps

Have younot noticed the comedy IS already back (well at least from June onwards) upstairs at EDT

Not run by Ron & Emma unfortunately (used to un it, now relocated to the Hob in SE23 via Magdala) but hopefully will strengthen the area for comedy rather than weaken their position (it must be easier for a comedian/enne playing 3 gigs a night to do 2 this close together than to scoot off to Camden say)

It's not a million miles from the pub we want the Plough to be.. I mean it's not IT but I do like it

Ron and Emm took it over about 18 months or so ago and haven't done much visible to it so it's pretty scruffy - they had been running the comedy upstairs for quite a while before then but since taking over the whole pub the main thing is the Sunday afternoons - which have variously taken the form of open-mics, children's entertainers, and other stuff. Good vibe usually - sometimes slightly heavier than usual

I'll be there Sunday night to see Steve Hughes so his Edinburgh warm up - or should that be EDinburgh

Cool, I shall pop along one Sunday, but not this week, as it's the fair in the day, then I'll be at BarStory in Peckham playing guitar... See the whats on section... Everyone should come, it's a good cause! ;-)

The Comedy night is called Gut Rocking and it starts in June on Thursday nights.

It is currently located in The Oxford pub in Kentish Town but moving to the EDT.

It's run by my friend Joe and is really good.

I will post some more details up soon in the events section.

Went to my first Cinema Paradiso event last night, the laff-riot that is "London to Brighton". Just kidding about the laughs people, it was a very harowing, but very good indeed film

Just wanted to echo Muttley's comments above in almost all respects - it's always been a great room, now being used for community stuff. The organisers were friendly, the seating wasn't AS uncomfortable as I'd been led to believe (although we did snag a table at the back) the screen was good. Just a shame the season is nearly over. I hope they come back to the same venue. I asked about them doing requests and they said they would be up for it if EDT management agreed

So come on Piers, your birthday, big screen showing of Spinal Tap - make it happen

I'd have liked to see it but got dragged into the play-off downstairs, which was jolly exciting.

I borrowed Lol for a while who said it was absolutely packed to the rafters for the film which is really good news. Did he do a good Q&A?

*ps, my big screen tv goes up to 11

Marty: It's very pretty.

Nigel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of -

Marty: What do you call this?

Nigel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump." >:D<

Sorry :-$

Great film last night! I managed to get one of the padded seats, lucky me :)) And generally I think their film choices this season have been spot on.

I understand they're not making a big profit, but hopefully they'll have enough for a better audio setup for next season.

• 1 year later...

Paradiso has moved home yet again ..........now at the mag on tuesdays doors 7.45 for film at 8.30 this week its honey dripper

directed by john sayles a great film set in 1950s alabama ...come and see the film and have a drink in your new style Mag

three other films on tues till december 2nd