-------------------------------------------------------

> Someone dumped a massive bag of garden waste

> outside my front door the other day. It was so big

> it was impossible to move.

>

> There are always fridges and freezers dumped in

> our street too. Really annoys me

That's dreadful!

I remember flytipping was a regular in Lewisham. Stuff was dumped regularly near our house.I also thought back then it was related to the charge of ?15 for 3 items. Southwark's charge is better but still high. It's a shame.

We all know (or should know!)that flytipping is illegal and anti-social, so if you do have quantities of waste to dispose of after small building jobs or garden clearances etc PLEASE use a registered and licensed carrier to remove it if you cannot take it to a recycling centre yourself.

There are no cheap shortcuts to disposing of waste which don't involve that waste being illegally dumped or it being generally not disposed of properly and responsibly. It seems that a lot of fly-tipping now does relate to short term rental and tenancy agreements, so the more civic minded folk out there that can 'do the right thing' when disposing of those few bags of rubble, odd bits of broken furniture or that big mound of garden waste, the better. Or as people have said, use the Councils collection service if you can, and yes, you will have to pay for it.

If you have a recommendation for a 'man and a van' or have found a company that you wish to use to remove waste, you can check the registration of licensed waste carriers here: https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/index

I have to say that having tried to book a bulky item collection on the new council website I understand why people are fly tipping. It is a nightmare!! I go round and round in a loop asking me to login (which I do) and then a new tab opens and when I click on bulky items it asks me to log in again!

No wonder people are fly tipping. I am happy to pay the ?16 but it seems the council don't want the money - or the nuisance of collection.

Will get on to James B about it

Also Government are cutting funding to all councils in London so they have to try to re-coup on services maybe.

Mattresses seem to be a big problem these days in the letting system and there's plenty of them about. Not just in London (though in these parts there are a few about) but students/renters move in and don't want somebody's old mattress to sleep on so they are just left out on the street.

ratty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has anyone got any ideas why the council might

> seem so shoddy nowadays?

One reason is that these services are outsourced and/or use call centres to save money. However, the senior officers who are responsible appear to take a more hands off approach and so these areas can be poorly managed. The councillors are further removed from their areas of accountability although I've found them helpful when a complaint is made directly.

I have a family near me who have no shame and continually fly tip during the day. Reported to council and apparently unless I have proof and am willing to say I have seen them there is nothing they can do. Don't really fancy the. Acklash if they find out it's me as someone else reported then for another issue and they then found their cat poisoned

Why would ANY Council want to charge you ?16 or even ?50 to take away your rubbish..

.. when they can fine you ?1,000+ to take it away if you fly-tip it. ?

.. and all the stuff from several fly tippers in one place..

They LOVE fly tippers. They are making a fortune.. We are a nation of fines..

Foxy