Thai Corner

The Thai Corner has received a bit of a caning on here over recent months... so would just like to say that last evening we took a friend from out of town (booked table at 24 hrs notice) & although very busy the service was quick & efficient, food superb, the atmosphere excellent & the price most acceptable.

Not particularly earth shattering news I do accept. "Restaurant does a good job!" ....... but just thought I would take 2 seconds & give praise where it's due.

I went to the Thai corner last night...........What a disaster!! The food is the worst Thai I have ever eaten. I wouldn't take my dog there, he would be insulted. The only decent food supplied was the sweet at the end. I believe the Thai corner should be closed down and the customers refund their money!!!

What an awful disaster!!!!

I'd say the food is great; very fresh, simply done but quite expensive. Had a takeaway the other night and it was the best part of ?20 for three dishes. Does that strike anyone else as steep, or am I just really stingy? Not been in for a while so can't comment on service.

I've been going to the Thai Corner for 7 years now. Only had a few ok-ish meals but all the rest have been great as was last weeks. The staff are friendly, the food is cheap and nicely cooked. And you can take your own wine. So big thumbs up from me.

Have been to both the corner cafe and sema thai. Neither are particularly brilliant, but corner cafe was the better of the two. I dunno about anyone else but I always seem to find it difficult to find authentic thai food in the UK. A 1pound green curry from a street stall in Bangkok walks all over anything I have had in an expensive thai restaurant over here. Maybe its got something to do with the availability of the ingredients.

Come on guys - I'm sure you're right, but saying that Thai food in London isn't as good as the grub in Bangkok is kind of stating the obvious. It's like saying that you can't get a decent fry up, or roast beef & yorkshire pud in Tokyo.

I agree that Thai food here is nothing like in Thailand but that's hardly surprising - restaurants here have to make a living feeding Brits, the majority of whom will have very different tastes from the average Thai. The result is often food that is too sweet and too creamy, from too much coconut milk. I quite like both TCC and Sema - the food is fine, but I find the service at TCC a bit offhand, and Sema is very noisy when it's busy.

Some of the best Thai food I've had in London has been in greasy spoon caffs taken over by Thais - they still do fry ups but also do curries, noodles etc. There is one in Lower Marsh Market, behind Waterloo, and one near Kings X. I haven't been to either for a few years now, but used to have lunch in both regularly. If you happen to be in Putney I would also recommend Talad Thai on Upper Richmond Road.

Are you smoking crack, Jones? Jesus. You should be eating Pedigree Chum rather than feeding Thai to your dog because that's all your misguided taste buds are good for!

I have never had a bad meal in the Thai Corner Cafe - the red duck curry (Geng Ped) is fantastic as is the Chicken/Cashew Stir Fry (Pad med mamuang?). And to describe it as overpriced? In East Dulwich? I can only assume you frequent the Fried Chicken joints for their cutprice buckets of grease or perhaps the bins behind Somerfield offer a fairer price? (Though I concede they could do with reducing their prices for takeaway only. TCC that is, not the somerfield bins!)

I can't believe the ignorance and disdain behind your comments! I'd easily put the Thai Corner Cafe in my top 3 Dulwich eateries. Phew. Rant over.

If you're ever in The Cut/Lower Marsh near Waterloo in the week or on saturdays try Marie's cafe, a greasy spoon cafe run by Thais for at least 20 yrs and they have, wait for it, a handful of Thai dishes available also, none take more than a few mins to prepare and serve and although cramped it's a good little cafe.

Just thought of this when someone mentioned Thai owners of greasy cafes or something.

I've eaten at TCC three times since we moved here in early summer and I'd say it's clost to the best Thai restaurant I've eaten at in the UK. The food has been outstanding on each visit, the service has been unfailing friendly and reasonably efficient. My only gripe would be the acoustics and lack of elbow room.

(The best UK Thai place I've eaten at is HillTribe in Richmond.)

Hell yeah! See the TCC aficionados all over this thread?! Where is Davey Jones now? The Somerfield bins won't have been stocked, so I reckon he's at the Pedigree Chum.

The best Thai restaurant in the UK! Woop woop. Absolutely love it... though in the interest of a balanced view, I would have to concur with the elbow room comment, but then as an eternal optimist, I'd just say it makes it a cosier night out! ;-)

Ok so the TCC's food is not quite what you'd get in Thailand, but it is a lovely place. I have been going for years and won't have a bad word said about the place. It is reasonably priced and the waiters are lovely. I'd like a bit more rice with my orders, but apart from that it is brill.