camera in cash point outside co-op in Forest Hill Road

cate

I went to use this machine at about 1230 today and minutes earlier a camera had been discovered. There was a pinhole looking down on the keypad. That is what alerted the guy who found it. The slot where the card goes also had something new and clean on it, completely unlike the last time I used it. The police were called and the manager of the Co-Op knows about it. Don't know what happened after that. Wonder if the info was transmitted somehow to the fraudsters or if they have to come back to retrieve it. Just wanted to let people know in case they have used it recently.

I had been using that cashpoint earlier the same day to withdraw some cash, luckily I always cover the keypad with my hand while typing the code....I hope they weren't able to spot it!! Better keep an eye on my statements though in the next few weeks. Thx for pointing out this Cate.

Does anyone know if the fraudsters need to retrieve their device (in which case I should be ok) or can they somehow control it remotely?

I hope the manager in the Co-op might have some more information. After seeing the camera there, behind the rubbery grey strip above keypad, I went to the HSBC ATM on LL to get some money. The strip above the keypad was completely different. It was hard plastic, bigger and deeper. It looked like it would be more difficult to put a camera behind and drill a hole through. Surely there must be some way to alarm the cash point if someone tampers with it? I always cover the keypad now when I type in my pin. Good tip mentioned on the Forum in a previous post.

You probably wouldn't have noticed anything. You couldn't see the pinhole from a vertical standing position and the bit that was placed on the card slot looked OK on first sight but on second look you could see it was brand new, clean (unlike surrounding area) and sticking out. I would talk to your bank and take their advice. It could be that fraudsters didn't get any info if they couldn't take away the bit on card slot which I believe stores card numbers, not pin numbers. But probably safer to cancel card.

I bank with Lloyds and they've recently started doing a "SMS Overseas Transaction Alert" - so if your debit card gets used abroad you get an instant text alert. Appreciate prevention is better than cure, but it's a good way to get informed quickly if someone else is using your card details. Apparently the rationale is that fraudsters will often put through a small value debit to see if the card is working before putting through a major "purchase" and these transactions are increasingly overseas (i.e. no chip and pin). You can also pause the alerts if you are travelling yourself.