Heber Road - dangerous wall - please avoid

Please avoid walking on the pavement at the Lordship Lane end of Heber Road.

The high double brick wall that is part of 263 Lordship Lane and runs along Heber Road has huge cracks in it and is bowing considerably.

I've spoken with the foreman in charge of the building works at 263 and he told me that it couldn't be taken down until next week due to Southwark not having issued a licence of some kind. I've also reported to Southwark(dangerous structures dept) and left a message with Heber School.

MYN Properties has no answerphone and no one picks up.

The wall has become incredibly unstable with more cracks opening up over the last 4 days.

I noticed this wall was bulging and cracked in September. It's astonishing that Building Control or somebody hadn't picked this up on a routine inspection. Maybe it's a case of everyone (including me) assuming "This must be safe or somebody would have done something about it". Well done Awkward Knee for doing it.

Yes, well done OP. The school has sent out a text to all parents but that's not much help for any other passers-by. You'd think the foreman could at least tape the area off or put out some cones to warn people?

ETA: Cross post with you Siduhe!

George Orwell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> May I most respectfully suggest that if it worries

> anyone then contact Southwark Building Control -

> Dangerous Structures - NOW.

>

> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200011/building_c

> ontrol/2160/dangerous_structures

>

> No point just waffling.

Awkward Knee's OP states s/he's informed Southwark, spoken to the foreman, told Heber School about it and tried to contact the building company. Which is all highly admirable and civic minded and doesn't really fall into the "waffling" category.

The damage has clearly got worse, and the wall seems now much further 'out of true'. That instability coupled with a high wind (or the continued jolting of heavy vehicles) has clearly added to the danger. If the builders wished to leave the wall, for the moment, then it should have been stabilised with strapping of some kind.