Nunhead / Peckham Rye ward chaos

Nunhead is apparently getting ?500.000 money for regen along Nunhead Lane. If any of the ward councillors in that area are reading this would they come on and explain why the 5 speed tables built along the Lane in the last 12 months all differ in style, ie different bricks and stone etc. It's ridiculous that nobody actually thought to oversee all this work. Just incase anybody needs an example just look at the speed tables along grove vale (ED), all the same all match and hey they look really good.

This is called planning, design and a little bit of thought. These things cost ?30.000 + each, so I have been informed so to redo them is now going to cost you 1/5 of the regeneration money. Can the Labour councillors in the ward please get their act together.

Missed the last one. But do the community council deal with it, is it actually being listened to, and are they still arguing about not letting marks and spencer's open in the lane (yes nuts isn't it)

These speedtables have been being built over the last12 months and the regen zone has been a fantasy waiting to happen for at least 5years. It seems to me like nobody is really in any overall control, should we get some of the lib dems down to shake things up a bit ? i give in, i will start wearing orange and voting liberal if thats what it takes to get a organised and cohesive regeneration of the lane under way.

Also does anyone know why not one of the shops in the lane was represented at the urban market the other day, i was expecting them to be there in force. Were they invited ? i was dreaming of a table of ice and fresh fish ?

mmm good question, well if you want to create a harmonious and organised feel to an area it is nice to show that you have considered the design, as well as setting a standard for all future dealings with that area. Places that are often overlooked and neglected by councils often suffer lots of other adverse side effects. Effects such as litter issues, bad road surfaces, poor police response, disjointed planning decisions, drop of in local trade.. ...do i need to continue. Nunhead has been fighting, and fighting hard against these things and is really coming through the other side. Now Let the council stand up and show a more considered approach to the way it manages future decisions ( what ever body of the council they come from )regarding nunhead lane.

The shops were not informed of the market until the last minute. If they had asked me i would have been very happy to put a stall on the green and compete with the baker there.

That said I think any effort to promote Nunhead and bring more people in is allways welcome.

Vincent Ayre

Ayres the bakers.

Speed tables are road humps?? I thought they were called cushions, or traffic angering measures!

I also thought that councils had decided to rip out such road bumps or certainly not put any more in, because they are dangerous and don't actually contribute to saving lives. Why don't they just close the road altogether to traffic and strangle the life out of the fabulous shops along Evelina Road? It's the direction the Councils are going.

Or they could just retarmac, and open up a few more roads for alternate use, instead of closing them all and forcing more traffic on to Evelina Road which is what has happened over the years. Has Fiona Colley voiced an opinion? Or has she not found one of her own yet?

Hi Vince

I totally agree, anything to promote Nunhead is a positive thing. It's a real shame that someone somewhere did not get this message about the market to the shop owners on the lane. Infact it is just another example of people at the council talking to themselves and not actually engaging with the community, it actually re-inforces everything i was saying.

Ayres is an institution, all my kids have grown up on your iced frogs !

PeckhamRose

What about some of the arguments against?

1) having more roads open will encourage more traffic which in turn will feed on to Evelina Rd leading to the same situation on Evelina but with corresponding problems on previously tranquil and safe roads?

2) Even if there is no rise in overall traffic, would all residents of these roads be happy with their roads being opened up? As council-tax payers are their wishes not to be heard by the council?

Of course you don't want big lorries going up side streets. But roads are roads are roads and if we pay road tax (and some motorcycle's taxes are higher than some cars!) we should be allowed to drive up those roads. What about the fact that I can use up say a quarter of a mile's worth of more petrol being forced on to main roads and convoluted one way systems in order to get home rather than going straight home via a few side streets. And the cars in those cases are using up more petrol and damaging more roads - instead of getting home in less time using less roads and less petrol, via a few side streets.

Point taken but on a motorbike you have much more flexibility. We would outrun old bill all the time using the alley ways and blocked streets as they could not follow you in their cars. Of course with the eye in the sky it's a bit harder nowdays but anyway i digress.

yes sean, why have we disagreed before ?