Tiny new car park in Peckham rye park

dimples

Putting the ludicrous "we should all be cycling" comment to one side, the car park does seem a little unnecessary. Most people in East Dulwich are within walking distance of either PR or Dulwich Park, and if for some reason you do need to drive, there tends to be plenty of space along Colyton Rd.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It could be disabled parking only.

Why..? Do only disabled people go to the park.. ?

I walk to the park but there are some folk who are not registered disabled that still have mobility issues.

There was a car park there long before the Caf? was built.

There was an old caf? where the toilets are now.. The ones that in the main are closed / locked up.

Sunday morning on Blackheath there used to be lots of people with their kite and other activities.

A virtual ban on parking has resulted in very few people using the heath these days.

If the parking is further restricted, the caf? will not be viable and will be forced to close.

DulwichFox

If parking is restricted then the cafe will no longer be viable?? That's ridiculous!!! Do you seriously think that the cafe will go bankrupt if visiting the park by car is made a bit harder? Car addicts will say any old rot to try and make people as scared of change as they are. Shame on you Dulwich Fox!

Please be mindful of the air quality and obesity crises London is facing and CHANGE YOUR WAYS!

Tuffstuff100 Wrote:

> If parking is restricted then the cafe will no

> longer be viable?? That's ridiculous!!! Do you

> seriously think that the cafe will go bankrupt if

> visiting the park by car is made a bit harder? Car

> addicts will say any old rot to try and make

> people as scared of change as they are. Shame on

> you Dulwich Fox!

>

> Please be mindful of the air quality and obesity

> crises London is facing and CHANGE YOUR WAYS!

Tuffstuff100

The unfortunate reality is

No Car Parking = Bankrupt Businesses

I agree with you on air quality and other issues but the reality is many businesses need customers and the majority of customers are passing trade and most drive cars mostly for good reasons.

Sales Reps

Mums with children

Old people

People on their way to work .. further away that it is reasonable to cycle

People who are physically incapable of cycling especially in poor weather

Etc

Etc

You feel strongly that everyone should cycle but you must be realistic for most people cycling simply isn't practical.

Now the problem with cutting parking for businesses is creating a worst environmental issue

WHY

As an example my elderly neighbours don't go shopping on Lordship Lane or Peckham Rye they don't even go locally for a coffee or lunch.

Where do they go .... Bluewater Lakeside or a Sainsburys.

So removal of local parking = increased pollution because car drivers travel 10 - 500 times further to get a cup of tea or some shopping.

The knock on effect of reduced local parking creates more problems environmental or congestion and it bankrupts local small businesses.

It's a constant drive towards big business.

So your desire to reduce local parking is a big vote for big businesses to dominate and a vote to kill small independent businesses and we know Southwark hates small business too.

Conclusion Reduce Local Parking if you want to increase pollution and have dead high streets full of bland chain stores.

Using your logic Lordship Lane would be a dead zone with CPZs and soulless pound shops .. not very clever.

It's about striking the right balance incentivising the use of electric vehicles and building suitable local parking facilities that keep drivers mileage down and also add cycling facilities like dry secure bike parking and safe routes for those who wish to cycle.

I look at Peckham Rye and all I see is a missed opportunity as it's mostly empty because there's little parking Dulwich park has lots of parking and it's a busy vibrant used public space.

I agree with DF re Blackheath it's a public disaster and has become a difficult place to visit.

These councils are abusing their powers and the result is impoverishing the local people and killing small businesses insane!

If you can see this from a different perspective I think you may have a change of opinion.

parking at PR should not be reduced IMO.

what's with the obligation to ride a fecking bike ? while car drivers are busy texting while they drive and cut each other up and not giving two fecks about whether you're on a bike or not.

do me a favour with the evangelic bike-ridey crap.

Tuffstuff100 Wrote:

> If parking is restricted then the cafe will no

> longer be viable?? That's ridiculous!!! Do you

> seriously think that the cafe will go bankrupt if

> visiting the park by car is made a bit harder? Car

> addicts will say any old rot to try and make

> people as scared of change as they are. Shame on

> you Dulwich Fox!

>

> Please be mindful of the air quality and obesity

> crises London is facing and CHANGE YOUR WAYS!

Car addicts will say any old rot to try and make people as scared of change as they are. Shame on you Dulwich Fox!

Please be mindful of the air quality and obesity crises London is facing and CHANGE YOUR WAYS

I have already said I walk to the park.. Elsewhere I have written that I mainly use my car for my weekly shop..

I average <20 miles per week in my car. so hardly a car addict.

I walk an average of 5-8 miles a day. I am in my mid 60's and I am not obese. 9 Stone .

So please eat your words of advice..

DulwichFox

rahrahrah Wrote:

> The new Heygate development in Elephant has over

> 650 car parking spaces.

Hilarious

2,500 new homes and 650 parking spaces

A joke there should be one space per new home.

The planning system is run by incompetent morons.

Also Heygate is yet another Southwark incompetence they sold it for less than 25% of its true value disgusting.

KikiMac Wrote:

> Hate to interrupt the rant-fest but my

> understanding is that the existing car park is

> going to be a (proper) kids play area so they're

> just replacing it with the new one, which looks

> about the same size to me.

The internet is not the place for reasoned discussion you know :)

https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/planning-and-regeneration/peckham-rye/supporting_documents/25%20July_Event%20Boards_FINAL_Revised_30.07.2015.pdf

Yes it's currently too small and the new one isn't any bigger should be twice the size of the existing car park.

The size Peckham Rye should be going for would be along the lines of Dulwich Park possibly even bigger.

If they're going to do it WyTF not do it properly!

There's plenty of space ... only not sufficient space in the brains of these incompetent Southwark employees if the community were given a voice we'd all be asking for a much bigger car park it's not as though the Rye can't fit one in.

In all seriousness, there is adequate public transport and walking and cycling are also options for people wanting to go to Peckham Rye. If we carry on in our current car dependent ways, an area the size of Richmond Park will need to be given over to new car parking spaces in the coming decades. That's from Boris Johnson's analysis. And we will all get ill as the air gets increasingly polluted. It might irk some people, but the direction of travel is towards road pricing in London.

Sorry Dulwich Fox, my comments were a bit rude and I retract them.