A gang of school kids

I've noticed a few times recently that at about 4pm each weekday there is a gang of approximately 20 teenage school kids on Barry Road and Upland Road hanging around, fighting in the streets and intimidating passers-by and some shop keepers. When a police car went by just now with its sirens on, obviously going to another incident, they are all ran off in different directions. They are wearing navy blue school uniforms with an orange collar, so not sure what school that is. Hopefully it won't be a regular occurrence, but is it worth informing the school??? Not sure what they can do though???

It's Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich (http://www.harrisdulwichboys.org.uk/), and yes well worth informing the school: all schools take their public image very seriously and will send teachers out into the streets to check up on things if their kids are letting the school reputation down, to identify and deal with pupils either then or when they're back in school. Schools have the power to sanction pupils misbehaving on the way to and from school, particularly if they're representing the school by wearing the uniform, it's part of the school/pupil contract. Let the school know, they honestly will thank you for it.

Actually rendelharris, I have to disagree with you about Harris' attitude to their pupils' out of school behaviour. We (myself, friends and neighbours) have contacted the school on several occasions recently regarding incidents. Firstly, repeated verbal and physical bullying of younger children by someone who has actually been identified. Secondly, the school has been repeatedly made aware of the Barry/Upland Rd/Oakhurst Grove situation, which- just one example- involved fighting, fireworks being let off in the street and verbal abuse from the students at 4pm a couple of weeks ago.

The response every time has been that as they are not on school grounds there is nothing Harris can do and they recommend calling the police. And that's it. I was really surprised as I thought they would react more as you described.

Inkmaiden Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Actually rendelharris, I have to disagree with you

> about Harris' attitude to their pupils' out of

> school behaviour. We (myself, friends and

> neighbours) have contacted the school on several

> occasions recently regarding incidents. Firstly,

> repeated verbal and physical bullying of younger

> children by someone who has actually been

> identified. Secondly, the school has been

> repeatedly made aware of the Barry/Upland

> Rd/Oakhurst Grove situation, which- just one

> example- involved fighting, fireworks being let

> off in the street and verbal abuse from the

> students at 4pm a couple of weeks ago.

>

> The response every time has been that as they are

> not on school grounds there is nothing Harris can

> do and they recommend calling the police. And

> that's it. I was really surprised as I thought

> they would react more as you described.

Sorry to hear that - I have no experience, despite my name, of any of the Harris academies, I was just going on how schools reacted when I was a teacher - dull afterschool evenings patrolling Oval tube station to make sure our lads behaved!

I'm a teacher and the school I work in is very concerned about bad behaviour outside the school when the pupils are in uniform. Maybe the events you are seeing could be filmed to show the school head. Maybe Lord Harris himself might like to see what boys are doing in public!

singalto Wrote:

> rendelharris, I agree with you. I reported

> children from Charter once as they were throwing

> chips at passing cars. The school was great about

> my reporting the incident.

They did this to some car at Peckham Rye.

He slammed it into reverse and stormed out at them - should

have seen them run (I don't condone his actions)

singalto Wrote:

> I'm a teacher and the school I work in is very

> concerned about bad behaviour outside the school

> when the pupils are in uniform. Maybe the events

> you are seeing could be filmed to show the school

> head. Maybe Lord Harris himself might like to see

> what boys are doing in public!

I was just waiting it had to come.....erm, political angle here by any chance? ILEA run schools were always beacons of fantastic pupil discipline of course before evil academies blah blah blah

I sent the headmaster a link to this thread, and received the following email back,

Thanks you for forwarding the link to the East Dulwich Forum.

I have forwarded it to our Senior Leadership Team and our Safer Schools Officer.

With kind regards

Irene Morton

PA to C Everitt - Principal

Harris Boys' Academy, East Dulwich.

Peckham Rye, London, SE22 0AT

t: 0208 299 5300

e: [email protected]

uncleglen Wrote:

> Baron Harris of Peckham is probably very well

> aware of what the boys are doing in public- since

> he used to be one himself.

> Taking schools out of local authority control when

> the politics of the council is not the same as

> central government is the only way to go impo

Yes, I can imagine the lads about to have a tearup on the street corner and saying, "Hang on, we're no longer under local authority control so we'd better not." And Harris Boys Academy East Dulwich is an academy (clue's in the name!) so is already out of local authority control, can't really see your point.

Going off topic now guys! What's the isolated behaviour of a group of badboys got to do with whether it's an academy or not. Incidentally I hear Heber primary had to send some teachers to patrol the Sainsbury local as some kids were buying drinks bottles to play this flipping bottle trick which had gone viral on YouTube.

???? Wrote:

> singalto Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'm a teacher and the school I work in is very

> > concerned about bad behaviour outside the

> school

> > when the pupils are in uniform. Maybe the

> events

> > you are seeing could be filmed to show the

> school

> > head. Maybe Lord Harris himself might like to

> see

> > what boys are doing in public!

>

>

> I was just waiting it had to come.....erm,

> political angle here by any chance? ILEA run

> schools were always beacons of fantastic pupil

> discipline of course before evil academies blah

> blah blah

I was alluding to this...

Generally teachers think academies are not 'good'. Singalto's 'tone' when mentioning Lord Harris seemed to me to be sarcastic but ???? got there first.

rendelharris Wrote:

> It's Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich

> (http://www.harrisdulwichboys.org.uk/), and yes

> well worth informing the school: all schools take

> their public image very seriously and will send

> teachers out into the streets to check up on

> things if their kids are letting the school

> reputation down, to identify and deal with pupils

> either then or when they're back in school.

> Schools have the power to sanction pupils

> misbehaving on the way to and from school,

> particularly if they're representing the school by

> wearing the uniform, it's part of the school/pupil

> contract. Let the school know, they honestly will

> thank you for it.

I wish this was true for all schools.

I have seen a number of incidents with Harris boys. Once I witnessed the boys fighting with baked bean cans and another time a Harris boy became really offended at my 1.5 year old child for staring at him at the bus-stop!!!! I complained to the school about the baked bean incident and the defensive receptionist said I needed to understand that the boys come from deprived backgrounds etc etc! (I sensed she was tired of these complaints.)

I don't feel that the school are doing enough though.

This is my understanding of this issue - from the School Safer School Police Officer:

"

In relation to Nigel Road and surrounding areas re: students gathering, it?s purely that, students gathering, and not causing any criminality whatsoever (maybe on minor occasions low level ASB i.e littering), but due to the large numbers of students gathering, this, of course, looks and can be perceived to be intimidating by members of the public.

The Senior Leadership Team (SLT) at Harris Boys? Academy are extremely proactive, the most proactive SLT on Southwark borough; they always respond to incidents immediately and are always willing to meet with members of the public to resolve any issues/concerns.

In relation to this particular concern, the SLT and I have been working in partnership and have undertaken the following:

1. Regular partnership patrols with Senior Leadership Team and Police

2. Working in partnership with Southwark ASB Unit, where they have issued ABC?s and presented workshops at the Academy

3. 1-2-1?s with identified students

4. ASB presentations to all students

5. A joint letter from the Principal and I to all parents/carers re: acceptable behaviour in the community

6. ASB flyers handed out to students when patrolling

7. Shopkeepers and local residents have my mobile number should issues arise; they can call and I will respond immediately.

Of course, depending on the urgency, members of the public are always advised to call 101 or 999 should a concern arise and Police is sought. When calls are received direct to the Academy the reception staff always e-mail the SLT and I so that we can respond and deal accordingly, with the advice to contact 101 or 999 should they have an immediate concern.

I am always available Mon ? Fri, 7am ? 5pm - Should any members of the public wish to raise any concerns then of course they can contact me at [email protected] or 07917 210932 and I will duly respond immediately and I?m also more than willing meet/discuss.

Harris Boys? Academy and I have a very close working relationship with the local community and we will of course respond and deal with any issue/concern accordingly and, if required, students sanctioned accordingly.

"

At the bottom of Upland/ Henslowe there is often a gang of Harris lads who have twice stopped me from driving up my road by literally standing in the middle of the road blocking my path. Kids just stand in middle of road fiddling with their genitals.

Sexual harassment....in my first school (not a million miles away from here) one of my female colleagues kept a year 8 boy behind for detention and he got his out in front of her...she ran from the room and locked him in and got a senior member of staff. There is evidence to suggest that if they get away with minor sexual harassment/assault then they will escalate....(the police told me that)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3969884/Wild-baying-mob-30-schoolchildren-caught-camera-attacking-two-police-officers-wrestle-one-floor-repeatedly-stamp-head.html

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/25/shocking-video-shows-30-school-kids-attacking-two-police-officers-6282849/

^

This happened in New Cross...not far from Dulwich.

Does anyone know which school these school-kids belonged to please? This is absolutely shocking.

I heard that two gangs from two schools were involved...one being Haberdashers Aske's Hatcham College.