Beware phone stolen tonight on Lordship Lane

Laroon

Just a word of warning...

My husband was looking at his phone this evening on Lordship Lane while walking along and a motorbike with 2 people on it drove up to him and stole it from his hand as he approached the Bassano Street junction at about 6.30pm. Be careful and be aware of whats happening around you if using your phone on the street fellow ED'ers...

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How are we supposed to play Pokemon Go !!!!

:) I still think occurrences of theft versus number of phones on street

make it not worth the inconvenience of hiding it - I do keep a constant

lookout at what is happening on the street mind

Of course there is insurance too.

handymaneast dulwich Wrote:

> Seen 2 thefts myself within 2 months and also

> stopped one from happening on Saturday.

Well done. Was it just one person or two on the bike? How early did you spot them, and was there any chance of maybe grabbing one?

They do get caught sometimes. There's a report in the latest Southwark News:a thief and his receiver jailed for 3-4 years for multiple offences. http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/mobile-phone-thieves-banged/

apbremer Wrote:

> So they caught two of them. Both back on the

> streets within 2 years. That'll really scare

> others. Pathetically soft sentences.

I wouldn't steal mobiles if I thought I might get two years inside, would you?

I'm not diminishing (wrong word but can't think of the right one) the crime, but it's hardly murder.

The other approach is not to buy second-hand mobile phones. Gumtree is a good source of doubtful phones. And don't hand over cash for second-hand mobiles in McDonalds -- people do, you'd be surprised.

What would not surprise anyone is that such mobiles stop working soon after purchase and the mobile phone on which the buyer contacted the vendor doesn't work any more and the buyer has no address, landline etc.

The police are no help -- they consider the above to be a variation on receiving stolen goods.

Sue Wrote:

> apbremer Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So they caught two of them. Both back on the

> > streets within 2 years. That'll really scare

> > others. Pathetically soft sentences.

>

>

> I wouldn't steal mobiles if I thought I might get

> two years inside, would you?

>

> I'm not diminishing (wrong word but can't think of

> the right one) the crime, but it's hardly murder.

They look so innocent.

If they really are then inside not great for them.

Maybe because they haven't been victims. My son had his mobile grabbed in Camberwell a few years ago. He gave chase and fell over. His hand was very badly scratched by the thief and he damaged both knees....so yes the bleeding hearts aer responsible for the awful crime imo because they will apologise for them while the crims are laughing at us and p*ssing all over us.

uncleglen Wrote:

> Maybe because they haven't been victims. My son

> had his mobile grabbed in Camberwell a few years

> ago. He gave chase and fell over. His hand was

> very badly scratched by the thief and he damaged

> both knees....so yes the bleeding hearts aer

> responsible for the awful crime imo because they

> will apologise for them while the crims are

> laughing at us and p*ssing all over us.

I've been violently mugged at knifepoint and I've been injured intervening in an attack on a woman. I'd far sooner the perpetrators in both instances (neither were caught) were made to do meaningful, severe and properly enforced community service than be sent to jail where the odds are in favour of them emerging drug dependent, brutalised and/or radicalised and gang initiated ready to commit further crimes. All prison does to petty criminals is turn them into bigger and better criminals with which we as a society then have to cope. That's not being a bleeding heart, it's just common sense. I don't care that much about the perpetrators, I care about having to face what we turn them into through kneejerk bang 'em up reactions.

uncleglen Wrote:

.so yes the bleeding hearts aer

> responsible for the awful crime imo because they

> will apologise for them while the crims are

> laughing at us and p*ssing all over us.

Who is "apologising" for the thieves?

apb says s/he doesn't think two years is a sufficiently long sentence for stealing a mobile.

I think it is probably too long, personally.

What is likely to happen is that those thieves will come out of prison both resentful and probably having learned a load more criminal skills, so they can move on from nicking mobiles to burglary and worse. Plus our prisons are overcrowded as it is, and apparently woefully understaffed.

Bleeding heart? No, just looking at things rationally.

ETA: And obviously I'm sorry for the victims, but I believe the police would advise not to try to get your stuff back. My sister had her hand knifed when holding onto her bag while being mugged, and it could have been a whole lot worse.

Plus, whilst the "eye for an eye" approach to justice may be understandable when you or someone you are close to is the victim, thankfully it is not how a civilised justice system works.

ETA: And if it's "bleeding heart" to think that we should be looking at why and how individuals become thieves in the first place, and addressing that, rather than branding them all as evil, then so be it, I have a bleeding heart.

Which is not to say I don't think they should be punished in some way as well, obviously.

apbremer Wrote:

> "They look so innocent"???!!! Terrify and

> traumatise innocent people.Wait until they injure

> or kill someone? Dangerous scumbags. Why are there

> so many bleeding hearts and soppy apologists for

> common criminals?

I did say look (from their photos) not are :)

To say that sending 'petty' thieves to prison will make them worse criminals and introduce them to drugs is ridiculus.

Many 'petty' thieves steal to feed an existing drug dependency.

Taking peoples property (often at knife point) is NOT petty and warrants long sentencing.

The situation in our prisons need addressing but that is a separate issue.

The Police themselves have recently come under attack from large groups of school children.

.. but are powerless to do anything to defend themselves. The situation is out of control..

The courts are lenient. Knife crime is rife and very little is being done to stop it.

It's a crime to be a victim..

"Oh you should of taken more care.. "

"Why did you get your mobile phone out on the street."

" Sorry. Your phone is not covered by your insurance as you put yourself at risk"

The criminals have 'Human Rights' Victims rights don't mount to anything.

It is a situation that can only get worse..

DulwichFox

That is terrible, I suggest phoning the provider and getting everything shut down.

Also in church when the people go up for communion they leave their bags in the pew, with valuable in, I have been robbed in church before, nothing is safe anywhere, and you would think that a church would be a safe place. No way.