local recycling bins- where have they gone?

Huggers

I can't see what is green or environmentally friendly about having to make a special car journey of several miles to recycle stuff. I do think this is an appalling decision by the council, although in the light of swingeing budget cuts, perhaps not that surprising.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> WRT Sainsburys recycling centre. The council let

> it get into a terrible unsightly pickle.

> Sainsbury's after seeing no effort from Southwark

> Council to clean it up asked for it to be removed.

Whose responsibility was it to maintain cleanliness? What document was that obligation recorded in?

Just more neglect of front line services as the council tax payer is being inconvenienced by deliberate political actions ultimately designed for the denigration of central government. I dread to think what's going on in local authority controlled schools....

It's not just recycling - our green bin collection was missed this week and the advice from Southwark Environmental was to drive the rubbish to the Devon Road/OKR facility as they couldn't guarantee they would be able to do a missed bin collection within 7 days due to "heavy demand".

Also, in case anyone is thinking of doing the same - the hours at the Devon Road facility have changed from 2 Jan:

Please note that from 2nd January 2017 the opening times of the Centre will change, the new opening times will be as follows: 8.30am to 4.30pm every day except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day

cazzyr Wrote:

> We have same problem...Southwark 'Let's recycle

> more' well I would given the chance. Why are blue

> bins only emptied fortnightly and brown bins

> weekly?? If once per week for blue bins then a lot

> of hastle eased.

Isn't it generally thought (by council/government reckoning) that with shops, supposedly, reducing packaging along with households, again supposedly, being more savvy when it comes to purchasing goods and recycling that there shouldn't be a great amount needing to be recycled hence the fortnightly collections?

cazzyr Wrote:

> We have same problem...Southwark 'Let's recycle

> more' well I would given the chance. Why are blue

> bins only emptied fortnightly and brown bins

> weekly?? If once per week for blue bins then a lot

> of hastle eased.

If I have more recycling than will fit in the blue bin, I put it in a separate bin bag with a note attached saying it is recycling.

Never had a problem, it has always been collected.

I had a long chat with the man at the recycling van in Sainsbury's car park on Wednesday. Sainsbury's have stopped having the recycling bins because far too many people misused them, leaving stuff on the ground rather than bother to put it in the appropriate container. I can't blame Sainsbury's for not wanting broken glass and clothes etc spread around quite a large area. If people behaved correctly the containers would probably still be there.

singalto Wrote:

> Sainsbury's have stopped having the recycling bins

> because far too many people misused them, leaving

> stuff on the ground rather than bother to put it

> in the appropriate container.

I think that's only part of the story. The bins weren't emptied frequently enough, it often wasn't actually possible to put the items in the appropriate container because they were full. Then when people start leaving stuff on the floor, it's the start of a slippery slope and people start dumping any old rubbish there.