New openings on Forest Hill Road

One - the old bookies' - looks almost ready to open. A worker told me (kind of - he didn't really understand me) that it was going to be a restaurant. One of the buildings getting revamped may be a residential property. I am glad FHR is getting better but lament the crappy, poorly-maintained (but large and full of potential) pavements.

I think that some of the pavement belongs to each individual business, hence the non-uniform nature. I just think a little bit of joined-up thinking or cooperation between the proprietors could work wonders, but it would need a person to drive it forward from the council. I call upon Renata Hamvas to explore (but if she is not the right councillor, I will stand corrected).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nigello, as you thought, the shops are owned and the forecourts do belong to the individual freeholders who are responsible for their maintenance/repair. The pavements and forecourts have been surveyed by the Council and where forecourts are in disrepair, owners have been informed and told what needs to be done to them. The area is not a conservation area and so there isn't a benchmark way the forecourts need to look (they need to be safe though). I can't see owners replacing their paving just to make then look more uniform (it would be at their cost). Where issues with the pavement have been identified this is going to be fixed.

Thanks

Renata

Renata, can anything be done about the co-op? I am delighted to see they've treated themselves to a new set of fridges (after a visit from the food safety team), but the front is a disgrace? They use blue tarpaulins as some sort of recycling disguise, but I don't think I'm alone in spotting the junk underneath.

Thanks

THanks, Renata.

Could you turn your attention to the cafe, near to the Herne pub, whose front is full of tagging and which has encouraged tagging - I think - on the green, pulldown shutter at the newsagent. It just seems a shame when other businesses are trying hard to give the strip a push that some shops simply CBA to clean themselves up - even if the council is doing it for them at zero cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Estate agent it is then.

Also, the Co-op is due for a mini upgrade (and will be closed for 2 weeks in March), followed by a proper refurb this year. It'll include storage to the rear so those damn crates won't be cluttering the place up... Also, hopefully it'll be wheelchair / pram friendly.

• 4 weeks later...

I was chatting to the workmen there at the end of the week before last and they were saying it was more likely to be around Weds 29th. If they'd dropped behind schedule that early on in the refurb then I wouldn't hold my breath for it re-opening on time.

I hope that they have come up with a good design for the interior, it's my nearest corner shop and I've been suprised how many times I've missed it while its been closed.