Christmas Tree collection

The guys on the brown bins were told today not to collect Christmas Trees, so don't be surprised if you have left yours out and it stays. He couldn't tell me what, if any, collection method was envisaged. It was brown bin collection in recent years but I do recall them using the caged lorries some years ago on tree only collections.

I've just talked to the gang on the 'brown' lorry - there are 'safe handling' issues with trees over 5ft - they have been told not to bin those, indeed any trees - and they thought that the caged lorries might be doing the collections (but didn't know for sure). I'd cut my tree back to a bare stem (with the branches in the brown bin) and they took this, and the stem.

I can confirm that the trees are being collected by teams driving in the caged Southwark vans rather than the normal brown bin collectors. I managed to flag one down on our street to collect ours - it was left out the front on our drive but they had driven past so you definitely need to make it more visible than I did!

Sorry to sound like Scrooge, but think about all the years of natural resources that went into growing those trees, just to be cut down, dressed up for a few weeks and then shredded.

I suppose its one way of making chippings for the parks though?

Have a green New Year everyone!

but think about all the years of natural resources that went into growing those trees,

Natural resources like CO2, which is now trapped in the trees and will be released very slowly as mulch. As long as you don't burn trees then there are significant benefits to using them as CO2 traps if you believe in that sort of thing. They also provide things like an income to foresters and intermediaries, making use of land which

is not ideal for other sorts of crop. Apart from relatively poor quality land the resources used are water (which is not lost) and CO2, which is trapped for a time. The price we pay for Christmas Trees is well over the cost of the usable timber grown, so benefits the growers and retailers. You need to think of whole life costs and whole life benefits, across the value chain here. On that basis Christmas trees are very much a good thing. (And our parks get chippings at only process costs, the raw material is otherwise free to them).

Noticed a few trees lying on the pavements today, with those metal stands still attached to them. The ones that the sellers were screwing into the trunk for an extra couple of pounds, instead of the usual logs. Looks like bit of a hassle for the recycling team now, having to remove them before chipping.

This morning (Tuesday 10th) in Underhill the tree collection seemed very organised and went smoothly. This was our first collection after 12th Night, when I suspect the bulk of trees would have been taken down. So Veolia/ The Council has got this right (for us, at least).

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The should be collected on the day you put out

> your brown bins.

> Renata

Hi Rebata, trees on Dovercourt were put out by today's brown bin collection but not picked up by either means.

We'll see if it happens later this week....

Four trees on the left-hand side of Eynalla (as you walk into the park) and plenty dotted in and around SE22. Is it because the drivers of the caged vans are not spotting them, or do they leave them if they are too large? If that is the case, could not the council advise people about the restrictions on recycling trees over a certain size before trees are bought?

Hi Renata,

Brown bins collected twice now and my tree is still here. What is happening this year with the council? I live on Ashbourne Grove SE22, it is very windy tonight so not sure where my tree will be in the morning!

Thanks

Louisa

Southwark s newsletter states remove wooden or metal base all decirations place next to brown bin for collection.

Or drive to tip with id proof address they will also collect old broken or unwanted artifical trees.

Tip is now open monday to sunday 8.30 am to 4.30pm. Instead of monday to friday its new extended hours giving those working in week wishing get rid items and not pay can go weekends.

Vans now have to pre book and only 4 free visits.no commercial waste they pay buisness rate..

Hi all, they should be collected when brown bins are emptied. Please let me know which streets haven't had them collected so that I can report this. (it may be purely that the vehicles were full and they have to return to some streets.) So far I have Ashbourne Grove, Eynella Road and Dovercourt Road.

Thanks

Renata